Sensible ideas for Corrado replacement...

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by cliveyp, Jul 9, 2004.

1. cliveyp Forum Member

As you all probably know, i've decided to put the Corrado up for sale to free up some money for the house. I'm now toying with the idea of a replacement. I've been thinking of these:

MK2 with a VR6
    Corrado G60
    MK3 VR6 (with a charger ;) )

my thoughts are:

MK2 - Getting on, but parts are cheap and readily available. VR6 has gotta be done though, the rest just won't quite cut the mustard! Could i struggle to get one for 4k?? Always a risk in buying a dodgy one....

Corrado G60 - Again, starting to get on a bit. Styling parts still expensive (lights etc). Could be a bad move, apart from the sound....

MK3 VR6 Supercharged - Have seen one advertised just in price range. Awesome noise, but bad MK3 reputation. Could this be cleared up by the fact that it's fast as f**k??

2. Rahul Forum Junkie

Clive, I don't get it.

You want to sell the VR, to free up some cash, fair enough?

But surely the cash is going to disappear again when a new car is bought!?

3. missvdubluv Forum Member

Thought you were gonna get a MK2 and VR it yourself? [:s]

4. cliveyp Forum Member

a chunk of cash will be taken up again when i buy another car, but not all of it. There will be enough left to pay of debts and buy us a new back door. Limiting myself to 4k.

Claire - Was gonna VR a MK2, admittedly not by myself though, was gonne get Phattie to do it, but i don't think i can get it all within price range. Seen some cheaper ones about as long as they're OK.

The MK3 really stood out to me, which nothing has done since buying the Corrado.... :lol:

5. Jeff Forum Junkie

IF you can find a cheap one then a g60 would be a good compromise, its still a corrado and apart from lacking the engine note of the VR you might even prefer it (some do).

however they arent really a lot cheaper to run than the VRs, its still a Corrado after all. The only real saving is in the purchase price I'd say. I couldnt believe what VR6 Corrados went for when I had my G60!

If you're after saving money I'd be looking at a 16v mk2, if I were you. Surely a tuned up 16v could "cut the mustard"?

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think you need to work out how much cash you want to free up.

If you only free up 1800 or so will you need to free up another 1800 a few months down the line?

I saw do a mk2 VR yourself, you dont have to do it right away,just get a decent base car first, even if you have to use it for a year before you find the right vr package it doesn't matter. Sell the C, buy a mk2, stick the leftover cash into premium bonds and wait for the right VR lump/donor car to turn up.

7. vdubgirl Forum Member

MkIII vr6 highline ;) You know you want to have one [:D]

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Clive, the only way you are going to save money on this whole escapade is by buying a Mk2 VR6. Corrado G60 will eat money, unless you can get an ultra low mileage example, the Mk3 VR6 just wont satisfy you after a Mk2 and then Corrado.

If i were you id be sticking with the Rado still, but i know you have your heart set on a Mk2 VR6. You are starting to sound way worse than me for cars. ;)

9. Valver Forum Member

Corrado G60 is not gonna be much cheaper to maintain I'd have thought. The Mk3 VR6 charger sounds nice but not exactly a good choice if you're trying to save money?...

I still think get a tidy (body wise) running late Mk2 for about 1-1.5k, keeping an eye out for VR conversion - plus it gives you the chance to slowly get any parts/mods you want to....

....or buy a cheapish running Passat VR6, and keep an eye out for a non-running, tidy mk2 to transfer everything to (advantage is that you'll know you've got everything if the donor car for the running gear is actually running!!)
    ;)

10. Rob.gti Forum Member

I am not understanding! Why sell a perfectly good car, to buy a car with unknowns attached? It could cost you more in the long run.

For me, you should keep the Corrado, cycle to work and save your money to pay debts.

Unless you actually sell the Corrado and buy a car for a coupel of grand, you aint gonna be any better off.

11. cliveyp Forum Member

Rob - i'm changing car to free up a couple of grand now. Running cost aren't a problem as it's hardly used, i just basically need a couple of grand now to get us afloat again. Long run costs aren't a problem in my eyes, i'll worry about that when it happens. The main thing is, i need to free up the cash to get us sorted after we spent too much initially on the house (new bathroom, sofa, other furniture etc.) Once it's paid off we'll be sorted!! Makes sense to me!

12. hayesey Forum Junkie

I don't really see how any of those options are going to free up any sizeable amount of cash myself.

mk2 VR conversion or a mk3 VR with S/C conversion are probably going to cost as much as (if not more than) your Corrado VR6 I'd have thought. G60 would free up a bit since they're cheaper than Corrado VR6s to buy but the money will soon be eaten up again in maintainence costs (e.g. charger rebuilds), there will no doubt be other bits & bats that'll need doing to it.

If I were you I'd either sell it & get something that is going to be cheap like a mk2 valver or just keep it & find some other source of money.

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

just rob a bank and be done with it :lol:

14. cliveyp Forum Member

mk2 vr's and mk3 vr (charged or not) can both be bought for 4k....... that should free up enough to help me out.

It's not like i want to sell the Corrado, but t'other half and i have discussed this a lot and it's the only way we can get the money. One of those things in life i suppose. House comes first now.... [:^(]