"serious" Gti Mk V Electical problem "help please"

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by xyience, Apr 18, 2006.

1. xyience New Member

So today, after helping a friend put a lower rear sway bar; got in my car to go home and voila airbag fault, the esp is off and cant turn it on. the air bag light is on, and the little steering wheel symbol is on (yellow) i checked all the fuses and all are good. however the placement of some seem off compaired to what is in the manual. if anyone has experienced this or has an idea what to do before i take it in please post.

2. xyience New Member

so i took the car to the dealer this morning. he said it was like a ticking time bomb. that all the air bags were armed and he was surprised that they didnt deploy. the car electrically had thought it was in an accident. the only thing we could think of was that i had best buy run wires for a sub and that being said they tripped a wire causing a "shunt"/ so moral of the story careful with your mk v when you add electronics to it. and do it yourself instead of letting best buy do it for you.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Close call. Lucky it was spotted early enough. Could have written your MkV off if all the airbags had deployed too.

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

wow , not good . i had a air bag light come on at a rr day along with the abs light we, put it down to the car braking (on rr) and the back wheels not moving !