** Serious Steering & Handling Problem **

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Ezy D, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Hi All,

I have recently changed the front suspension and steeing parts and now have a real steering problem, even after 4 wheel laser alignment ... twice !

Car:

Mk3 Golf VR6 (OBDII - 1997) - 70k Miles on the clock.

I Changed (November 2006):

- Ball Joints (GSF Parts)
    - Tie Rod Ends (GSF Parts)
    - Top Mounts & Bearings (VW Dealer Parts)
    - Bump Stops (GSF Parts)
    - Anti-Roll Bar End Links (GSF Parts)

(December 2006):

- Suspension Struts (GSF Parts - Boge Turbo; Code: 45558 SHOCK STRUT BQ GAS FR)
    - Front wheel bearings (both)

All torque settings were followed to the letter and all items put together in the correct order ! (I've got the VW dealership software & the dreaded Haynes manual).

There are 2 main problems

(1) The car has always pulled to the left quite a bit ever since I bought the car in 2005. After changing the parts and laser alignment it seemed to reduce 95% of the pull to the left. But it is now pulling to the left more than ever.[:s]

(2) After changing the suspension struts the steering of the car is dangerous above 50mph ! It feels like it is lazy. If you turn to the left and back to the right quickly at speed the steering reacts as though there is a delay of half a second. So by the time you put the steering wheel back to neutral the wheels will 'catch-up' with you when they feel like it. This is not safe at all. [:x]

Another problem:

(3) I still have occasional traction problems (1st+2nd Gear) even with new Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres (when giving it a bit-o-whellie pulling away).

At first I thought it might be the top mounts & bearings so I replaced the GSF ones with VW dealership items. But this changed nothing. I have even used different wheels on the car to prove that tyres and wheels were not the problem and they aren't. It has nothing to do with directional tyres or tram-lining ! I have had 4-Wheel Laser alignment done twice to the car in a month and this has changed nothing ! > ?

My only solution is to go the VW dealership and replace the GSF Boge struts with OEM ones.

The only original parts left on the front running gear are the CV joints, Wishbones and steering rods (not ends).

So the logical deduction is that

(a) the struts must be rubbish, or
    (b) the steering rack is worn, or
    (c) the wishbones must be damaged

But the wishbones look straight as a die to me, and before I changed the suspension struts I did not have the steering problems.

(I was thinking of putting new wishbones on the car anyway)

So guys .... help is needed .... all replies appreciated ! Thanks !

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

Hi mate,

When you say 4 wheel alignment, do you mean camber AND tracking or just tracking? Tracking normally costs about 20 and a camber and tracking setup normally in excess of 60-80 (and more!)

From your descriptions, it could be that the front camber is out - giving you wooly steering and dodgy handling at speed. Poor camber adjustment can also give you very poor traction, as the tyre's contact patch is not at it's optimum. Steering pull can also be affected if the camber is uneven side-to-side (oval track racers use this to their advantage.)

The Boge dampers are fine - I've used them before (and now) and so have many others - so unless they are really faulty then I doubt they are the cause.

Any help?!

:)

3. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I have got to agree with Rich, although I'm not sure how adjustment is done on a Mk3 I have had similar issues in the past on a Mk1. Very strange handling when the camber is out! I know C&R used to be pretty good for setting up geometry, but that was a long long time ago......so not sure about now, but might be worth you giving them a call as you are in Nottingham.

Hope this helps [:D]

4. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Like rich said, tracking or camber and tracking?

Could be the car is twisted/ had some bad repairs in it's past.
    Do you know the car's history?

5. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

I didn't see that you were in Nottingham...not too far away at all!

When I needed camber setting up, I was going to use Nottingham 4 Wheel Alignment Services (does what it says on the tin tbh!) http://www.alignment-services.co.uk/

They seem to come recommended on some other forums, but can't vouch for them myself. (I ended up setting up mine myself.)

6. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I have had the Tracking & Camber all sorted at Nottingham Wheel alignment Services ... all for 47 ... (They let me sit there & watch the lot being done ! good bunch of guys) so it's not the camber settings I am afraid. So I cannot understand why I am having these problems.

Also I forgot to mention that the steering is really easy to turn to the left but harder to turn to the right > ?

I'm at a loss, perhaps change the Boge turbo Struts seeing that once I fitted them the fluffy steering started. Suppose I should have just put the Dealership OEM ones on, they are only 1 more than the GSF ones. (Dowh [:s])

I have all the history of the car (plus receipts) and there really isn't anything to tell. The water pump has been replaced twice (and needs doing again) other wise it's had a service every year (Full VW Dealership Service History until I bought it !) Normal things really - Brake pads, oil, filters etc.

There are no scratches on the car, the chassis seems in tip top condition, there are no differences in gap sizes of cut lines and panel alignments of the body shell, nothing to suggest any problems. I've had all the suspension off, been under the car multiple times and the underside of the car looks very good.

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks

7. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

The fact that the steering is harder to turn one way than the other sounds a bit odd to me.....sounds like it could be the rack! :(

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

silly question.. but whats your tyre pressures like?

9. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

If the turning of the steering is the rack is it just a case of changing the bush on the rack > ? Or do I have to change the steering rods > ? . ... or dare I say it change the whole rack > ? Arrggghh Yuk [8(]

10. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

The tyres all round are at 42psi .. 205/45/16 Eagle F1's ... one month old.

But I have tested the car with different wheels & tyres on and the steering / handling problems were the same ... so it's not tyres/wheel related ![:s]

11. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I would say the whole rack I am afraid! [:^(]

12. Jay 16V Forum Member

Hi , did you say you have changed the gas struts for vw one's , its just that i had some bad gsf front struts , gas had come out after 100 miles and the shaft was floating about which gave a bad tram lining feeling when driving at speed?. I replaced them with sports ones and problem went away???. Just an idea????

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

isnt 42psi a bit much? i know the vr6 is meant to have higher pressures than the gti, but the gti is only mean to have 28psi on the back.

eagles seemed to be uber soft to me. mine is perfect at 35 at both ends, but id recommend you try the OEM pressures to start with

14. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Matt. Fair point, but the pressures on the inside of the fuel flap state 2.9bar for 16" wheels .... so 2.9bar = 43.5psi so I put it at about 42psi. This might be a fraction too high and might try the old 15" wheels settings of 38psi at the front and 35psi at the back. I'll have a go tomorrow.

Thanks

15. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Thanks for that Jay, that just sounds like exactly what is happening .... I'll think I'm going to dump the Boge struts and throw them back at GSF for a refund (stating the good ol' Consumer Goods Act) .... so VW struts here we come.

I'll let you know what happens, might try and fit them on Friday.

Cheers

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what does your camber look like? ive seen loads of mk3s with camber all over the place. one was at a meet last week with the near side wheel tucked in at the top, the off side was poking out!

are yours even both sides?

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

42psi!!!!! GET AWAY

18. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

The camber was fine as of 22nd December when it was last aligned (Camber & Tracking)

19. garfayliu Forum Member

Hi Ezy D,

Reading through your posts I'm finding that I have similar symptons on my mk3 16v,
    1) got slight pulling to left, even after tracking
    2) not as bad as yours, but there's some play, not dangerous though
    3) get some wheelspin but put that down to road conditions

It was worse before I replaced the rear tyres, basically no grip and back end would step out more and car generally felt pooe to drive, like it wasn't touching the ground.

The parts that I've changed are the struts for Weitec GT gas shocks lowered on SPAX 60/40 springs, I used the original top mounts and bump stops. Running TT Comps 17x7.5 with 205/40/17 fronts 215/40/17s rear. Cars done 52k miles.

I was going to replace my top mounts to try and improve my handling which feels dis-connected with the road, even though I get feedback/tram lining just not as sure footed as my old mk3 golf which was lowered.

Any idea on how to check the rack or wish bones?
    What about the rubber suspension bushes?

Oh, back to one of your points, you say its easier to turn left than right, have you checked the gaiter/bellow on the steering rack on both sides. On my old mk3 golf, after I had tracking done, they turned the track rod a few times without re-aligning the gaiter, ended up twisted, so when you try to turn the gaiter is restricting movement. Ended up ripping gaiter and needing replacement, which is an **** of a job.

Cheers, Garfay.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What was the camber readings? 'fine' doesn't really tell us anything.

As you've changed the struts, my guess is the camber is unequal given the symptoms described.