Servo vac pipe

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Aug 16, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Got a hard plastic vac pipe on the 1.8t mk2, fits really well, but no one way valve in it.
    Managed to get one at the breakers at the weekend, stripped the old pipe off the valve.
    Question is what's the best way to fit it in if I chop the pipe, ideally just into the plastic, is it heat it somehow or put an insert in and non collapsible rubber hose tails off of it, would prefer the fit into pipe method really, just for a more factory appearance.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I tried, and failed at heating the plastic pipe to get it to fit over the barbs. Next time I had to join one I used black rubber hose, over the end of the valve and over the plastic pipe.

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

I did try previously with hot air gun, water and blow torch when altered the mini,ended up using rubber hoses on that.

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Those hard plastic pipes are a liability. That one in the image has a dirty great split in it at the bottom end. They tend to do that anywhere they're stretched over anything.

dodgy likes this.
  5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Also tried with heat to stretch it over, and it worked but also kinked it and looked terrible I assume they do it like that in the factory but have a jig to hold it all rigid and squeeze the pipe tightly into the barbs once its been fitted over them

dodgy likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

managed to repair a split hose on our bora, dropped it in some hot water and left it for 10 mins or so. got it 90% on the barbs but not fully. its under vacuum so shouldnt fail, but I bought a new pipe anyway as it was cheap. but needed the car for holiday the next day

if you're making your own run just use good rubber hoses, try to use as short a length as possible mind. VW still sell the various bits, not all that expensive either. you may find the standard 20v vacuum line fits pretty well

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Standard pipe fits perfectly but no one way valve, did odd things with servo feel.
    Think I'll chop it on the straight section and put insert inside plastic and fit the valve with rubber joint rails.
    Thanks for the help guys.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk4 pipe should have a NR in it somewhere? 1J0612041EJ for agu, 1J0612041ES for aum either way 32+VAT
    D_NQ_NP_915554-MLB43215927058_082020-O.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  9. dodgy

Mine may have been off the S3, and goes straight run from servo to front of car, loops perfectly around the intercooler pipe, then to end of plenum, I'll get a pic later.