setting up cam timing 20vt

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by pwoiks, Jul 16, 2009.

1. pwoiks Forum Member

how do i check that the cam timing is ok on my engine S3 (AMK) 20vt.
    im going to take the roker cover off and have a look. will i need to line up notches on the sprockets???
    lso can anyone tell me the torque settings for the cam caps incase i have to take them off??
    thanks
    rich

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

3. pwoiks Forum Member

thats exactly what i wanted. brilliant!
    thanks
    rich

4. pwoiks Forum Member

ive taken the cam cover off and turned the crank untill piston #1 is at tdc (screwdriver down the plug hole).
    ive taken a pic of the cam markings for you to look at.
    whilst reading through the link you sent me i found this part...

"NOTE: The distance between the 2 arrows/paint marks is equivalent to 16 drive chain rollers and the notch on the exhaust camshaft is slightly offset inward toward the drive chain roller. "

as you can see from the pics the marks on the exhaust cam is pretty much spot on and the mark on the inlet cam is slightly OUTWARD of the cam cap mark.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

i was thinking maybe the cams are out a tooth but i think if i rotated them one tooth then the marks would go to far the other way.

any suggestions on what i should do next.
    thanks
    rich

5. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

That looks ok to be honest, dont forget when the adjuster pumps up it will lengthen the top run of chain and pull the intake cam back, and therefore align the mark.
    But from memory, tdc has no bearing on the position of the cam marks, there independent of the pulley mark.
    edit to add pics,
    heres a gti i replaced the tensioner gasket on, these were taken after the tensioner had pumped up, notice it has pulled the chain up and brought the intake cam back.
    and a view from the other side showing lobe position.
    whats your problem anyway? you getting the reference code thrown for the (g40) cam sender? If so check your crank senders health and also timing belt tension.
    hope these help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brian.
    ps, this gti has 300k on it, pretty clean in there huh?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  6. pwoiks Forum Member

thanks for taking the time to reply and sort out the pics, very much appreciated :)

my problem is when starting the engine hot or cold it makes an awfull harsh vibrating/tapping noise, so harsh that i thought it must have been a radiator or intercooler bashing against something when i started the car. ive left it like this for 2 years since putting the 20v engine in my mk2. last week i thought id sort the problem out and took the radiator and intercooler off, sorted out their mounting points and also moved the fan so it wasnt so close to the throttle body.
    after doing all this the noise is still there, after an hour or two trying to find out what was ratteling wee decided its coming from inside the engine.

ive been cheking the cams as i hoped they might have been a tooth out and by correcting them would make the noise go away.
    heres the video of the noise i described.....

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/pwoiks/?action=view&current=MOV00294.flv

the noise doesnt sound to bad in the video but it is quite harsh sounding in reall life.

ny ideas on what it might be??

thanks again
    rich

7. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

If the engine is cold it sounds like the tappets pumping up, but if you know what these sound like and its louder or more worrying than that and its there at tickover always, like a diesel sound kinda coming from up top at the chain end then its your cam chain tensioner.
    other possible sounds on startup but not in the engine could include the aux belt tensioner or the dual mass.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  8. pwoiks Forum Member

i cant thank you enough for all the info youve given me so far but i do have a fiew questions...
    how did you get the tensioner to pump up with the cam cover off. can you start the engine to let it pump up when the cover is off????

the noise goes away within a second or two after start up and ive never heard it come back whils the car has started, which kinda points to the tappets as you say.

when tappets start to make the noise mine do (assuming its the tappets) what is generaly the cause?
    when i first got the engine i took the head off and blasted all the oil ways with compressed air to clean them, i took the oil pickup pipe off and cleaned it so it was spotless aswell.
    sorry for all the questions. im going into audi this morning to get a price on tappets, cam hain tensioner and cam chain.
    ill also get some sump gasket sealer stuff take the sump off and clean inside the oil pickup again.

thans again
    rich

9. pwoiks Forum Member

got a second hand tensioner off ed38 and fitted it yesterday and all seems well, no more noise on startup. im landed and cant believe its taken nearly 2 years to sort out. lol

thans for the help everyone.

rich