'short stroke' 1600 Race/rally engine build : should be interesting...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Jon Olds, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Always fancied building a race 1600 based on the 1595, rather than the 1588.

So its started.

81mm bore of the 1800's but only 77.4mm stroke.

Found a really really good 'driver' engine, stripped it. Not a mark on it.

Going to cc the block and then turn the tops of the pistons flat or near flat.

Have a head ready. Its the one talked about in the 'Button rallycross thread' Allegedly Judd, massive ports to twin 48's. Should be well and truly over carbed.

Will let you guys know how it progresses, if there is interest.

Jon

Brian.G and Toyotec like this.
  2. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

This sounds like a interesting build, and should rev just a bit?

Do you have any target output?

3. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Thats the Badger!

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sounds interesting jon, what bits are you using in the block?

5. mickey marrows Forum Member

I built one like this quite a few years ago, I'd love to know where it is now...

Started with a mk2 1.6 EZ engine, but with a KR 16v head and some obscure 83mm Audi pistons (found in Schmidt catalogue). The short stroke crank wasn't very well balanced as I remember, but was fine after being worked. It all came about after I bought some ridiculous long duration cams from a dodgy German bloke at a show at Castrop Rauxal in the 90's.. so I built the engine just to suit the cams :)

It was, without doubt, the most hilarious engine I ever owned. It may be that someone still has it and doesn't realise its a 1650..

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it.

P.S
    I seem to remember Geoff Thomas having a very similar spec crank made

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

This is going to be a cheapo bottom end. I'm going to deck the block and pistons to get around 11:1 with my fancy 40:35 race head and 300 ish cam and let it rip.
    Pragmatic about hp.
    It'll have what its got....
    Std gti dizzy
    RRoad to set timing and jetting and try and compete in the 1600 class with it. If its got enough hp to get off the start line....
    Really looking forward to seeing the shape of the graphs....

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Just rembembered I bought a gs6 from somebody on here a while back . Probably going to have to rev it to 6000 to load it onto the trailer

8. mickey marrows Forum Member

Just remembered, they weren't Audi pistons, they were Cosworth, from a BDA that I was given for free..(not the BDA, the pistons!)

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Had a set of those also. Had to rebush the little end back to an imperial size..

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Sounds like a propper build for an engine

I love the 'small' engine builds, I have couple 1L ally blocks I'd love to do something with - on a serious budget - just to play [:D]

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

It like small engine builds too. It's one thing the french got right with their peogeot rallye models. A standard ABF may give big numbers for cheap, but a tuned small engine in a balanced package will give more[:D]

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Should be interesting indeed Jon! :thumbup:

Ideally you'll need around 12:1 for a 300 cam but the pistons may wilt real quick at the thought. From memory the 1600 carb pistons have a deeper dish than a GTi piston so you'll need a fair bit off to raise the c.r. Std pistons have a tendency to collapse the ring lands when decked heavy to reduce bowl cc which weakens the piston, along with the high c.r and inevitably high rpm they wont last too long.

I may have some std bore GTi pistons kicking around with a shallower dish to start with which will give a higher c.r with a sensible amount removed. With the block decked and a G60 gasket yr on the way.

The head deck can come down to get 21/22cc chambers...it gets real thin after that...some castings wont even take that. The lower water outlet bolt on the end of the head can break through so you cant go lower than that.

A safe-ish 11.5:1 with just shy of 300 degree's could see around 150-155hp with the 48's set up right.

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks guys. The engine I have is the 1595 injection lump. Basically an 18 GTI with a shorter stroke. The pistons don't have a dish, as such. Seem to have a reasonable crown thickness. I will know more when I cc everything. Been away rallying so everything stops.... Hopefully some progress later this week