Should I Go RS4s?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Mikedav, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Mikedav Forum Member

Opportunity to do virtually a straight swap for my 16"s here. Problem is one is scuffed slightly (other three are mint) and two tyres will need replacing soonish. As my car is 4WD just wondering if this is an issue?

They have VW centre caps, but my car isnt lowered (except 4mos sit about 20mm lower I understand). Not really my first choice for wheels on my car but the design is ok and the idea of quality OEM type 18"s for virtually free (not gonna be able to afford BBS CHs for a long time) is appealing. Would it look good?

[​IMG]

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

yes, do it.

(but check the wheels on a balancing machine first to see if they're bent/buckled. also, are they genuine RS4 wheels or replica's?)

3. 76

76 Forum Member

Yeah I like the look of those wheels.

Downsides - 18" tyres aren't cheap and in my experience the four wheel drive system will wear all four tyres out at approx the same time, so unless you renew them all you will have odd wear tyres on.

18" without suspension work will make your car look like its on stilts!

4. Racing Teatray Forum Member

Yes also remember that it is bad for 4wd cars to have front and rear tyres which have different amounts of tread left as apparently the difference in rolling radius fvcks the driveshafts over time I gather. Hence why always have to replace all 4 tyres at once.

So if buying 2nd hand wheels check the wear on the tyres is even and if not budget for 4 new tyres.

Nice wheels though RS4s. Am thinking of getting some myself but might stick with the 17" versions that was standard fit on the last MK1 Audi A3 Sports.

5. SiVWW Forum Member

Go for it :p

6. Higgim Forum Member

Go for something a bit different. They're nice but too many MKIVs have them IMO. I'd save the money for other wheels or spend it on suspension first. :)

7. Mikedav Forum Member

Only reason I am considering them is they are essentially free...offered 450 for mine and these are the only wheels advertisied in the same ballpark; and I dont mind them, certainly better than my Brands Hatch but worth the hassle? If I also have a 500 bill for tyres on wheels Im not 100% keen on it doesnt seem to make sense.

Hmmm. I have a week anyway

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

still go for it! (do you know the answers to the q's in my other post though?)

9. Mikedav Forum Member

They are genuine I think, but they have VW centre caps so either way theyll look the same. A lot of UK-MKIVs run the replicas and are quite happy.

Im a bit put off the idea having seen a Bora on these without lowering though...

500k Picture Of RS4s / No Drop

10. toXXin Forum Member

I'd go for it!

Is that Bora in the pic a 4 Motion? As you say they're 20mm lower than standard so it should bring it to a reasonable level, if that cars not a 4Mo that is.

Where did you get your tyre quote from? Have you looked on eBay as that has lots of tyre wholesalers on there now.