Silenced Cat Bypass Pipe...!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jcorallo, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jcorallo Forum Member

Well - I swore I'd stop the spending...

Car: 1993 Golf VR6.

I've got the Scorpion SS Boxer cat back system installed. This deletes the first OEM silencer in place of a straight pipe. So the final system only has two silencers - a mid and back box.

This was already quite a loud system - so when I added a straight through cat bypass pipe - it became almost intolerable.

So off I went to Zaust Ltd in Clitheroe, Lancashire - where I got them to make me up a silenced cat bypass pipe in Stainless Steel.

There were two main requirements:

1) Quieter than a straight through pipe
    2) Easier to swap the cat and cat-bypass in and out for MOT's and RWYB days etc

So here it is:

[​IMG]

5 bolts now and the cat is off and on goes this pipe. This was essential as messing about with siezed overlapping exhaust pipes was a nightmare. When I initially fitted my own cat bypass pipe, it took me about an hour to remove the pipe from the back end of the cat box - the clamps had crimped the pipe so it was well stuck on. Nightmare.

The long centre pipe on the car now has the matching two bolt flange - and is adjustable for rotation.

The cat now has a removable adaptor at the back to mate to this two bolt flange on the centre pipe which keeps the cat standard and unmodified.

The rear two bolt flange is not a sealing face itself - the two pipes intersect/overlap about 5mm or so to form a seal so this will be a doddle to undo.

The front flange with Lambda boss were supllied by me from my old cat bypass pipe.

Jules
    Edited by: jcorallo