Single point jacking.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by KeithMac, Jun 20, 2023.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, I'm in the final throws of welding up my Mk2, most of which seems to have stemmed from people jacking it up in the wrong places..

I'm looking to fabricate a front and rear beam running near the bumpers that will take the weight of the car so I can just roll a trolley jack under and lift both wheels (front or rear).

Has anyone done anything similar?.

Front wise it looks like tying off the 2 front bumper mount bolts are my best starting point and rear wise off the back two bumper mounting bolts.

Just looking to see if anyone has done similar?.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You have them? The subframe and rear beam?

pigbladder and daNpy like this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

What he said ^^

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Would like something that if damaged / rusty can easily be replaced.

Don't fancy jacking on freshly painted bits.

Shame the front crossmember isn't a bit more sturdy I'd have made a jacking plate for it.

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just put a micro fibre on the jack? That’s what I do.
    Doesn’t damage any freshly powder coated parts I’ve ever had

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

trouble is where do you jack if you need the subframe/beam off, so a good strong jack point would be handy. at the back you';re fine though just use the factory area just in front of the rear beam bracket its plenty strong enough

its the fronts that are the problem, unless you've been in there and done it you never know how bad the front jack points are till your jack disappears thru the floor :lol: what you can do is buy/make pads which are shaped to sit on the sill same place the widowmaker goes, needs a notch so it sits on the actual sill not the pinch welded seam. My plan eventually is when jack points get done I'm going top make a plate to sit under it to give strength and modify so it takes the nice TT jack pads

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

For me I'd just like to slide the jack under front bumper, jack front up and slide 2 axle stands on same beam.

The front "dimples" I never refitted after replacing the jacking panels.

I made 2 replaceable pads that bolt to the main chassis rails (behind rear subframe) to land the axle stands on.

My rear jacking panels were also mullered but the chassis inside was still fine, just loathe to putting a jack anywhere near it now.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

jack mine on the subframe or rear beam , use a bit of rubber car mat to stop any damage , if you need the subframe off then axle stands on the chassis again with some rubber or such to prevent damage