Single Wiper Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by RoryH, Jun 14, 2011.

1. RoryH Forum Member

Thinking of doing a single wiper conversion on my 16v gti, can anyone recommend the best 'kit' available? Also what does the kit consist of? A new motor I'm guessing to allow the single wiper to cover the whole windscreen?

Also can someone enlighten me on if it really is a good idea to go for a single wiper conversion? Because iv heard problems with them not sitting on the windscreen and this rendering it useless, or whenever it doesent cover the whole screen?

Cheers Rory :thumbup:

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

3. RoryH Forum Member

Cheers man, the fact the wiper misses a bit of the drivers side of the windscreen does worry me :/, do you know how much it actually misses? is it right in front of my field of view?

Rory

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Take a piece of string, tie one end to the shaft of the wiper arm coming out of the middle of the screen scuttle.

Stretch the string to the top middle of the screen & mark the string where it meets the rubber.
    this mark is the maximum reach of a single wiper -swing the string round in an arc on the screen & you can see how much cut off you will get.

This conversion suites the vertically challenged...

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

On my Mk2 the cut-off was pretty similar to the normal amount you`d see on the passenger side.

As mine is an early one it came with LHD wipers, so the had that cut-off anyway, but I imagine it could be pretty annoying if not used to it.

6. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I had a single wiper on the mk1.. and motorway driving in the rain was a problem... the screen would not clear quick enough as the wiper had a long distance to travel..

Rainex helped.. but Rainex works best when it doesnt have a wiper rubbing the stuff off the screen...

7. RoryH Forum Member

hmm dont really know if its worth doing the conversion then [:/] cheers any way lads maybe in the future ;)

8. LowlifeDubber New Member

Ive recently put a storm single wiper on my mk3 and I adjusted it so it parks on the passenger side.When it sweeps it covers the whole screen with no dead spots at all :)

[​IMG]

9. RoryH Forum Member

Cheers lowlifedubber! It's good to see an actual picture of one fitted.
    I'm probably gona do the wiper conversion next month presuming money wise because ha my starter motor has just gone (doh) how typical.
    And btw your mk3 looks sweet,

Cheers Rory

10. LowlifeDubber New Member

Thanks Rory :)
    If I get chance tomorrow I will knock a video up so you can see the sweep in action to give you a definitive view.
    Gaz