Skandisk extreme 3 16GB SD card

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by vrbanana, Jul 23, 2009.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Just got one, thing I noticed is that after taking a few shots in rapid succession, the light on the bottom of the camera is still on and accessing the SD card much longer than with the other SDs I have. Normally after about 6 shots or so the light would stay on for a second after shooting, with this card it stays on for an extra couple of seconds, it doesnt state the speed of the card.

What effect if any does the card speed have on the images if any, or does it limit the camera in any way?

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

the cameras memory buffer will fill up faster if it has a slow card in it so i guess after a few shots it has to write more info from the buffer to the card.

does the camera support such a big card properly? i think some cameras dont support the newer high capacity cards properly.

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I don’t know if it supports it or not, it’s a Canon 350D and it’s just clocked 40k images, which leads me onto my next question, I’m thinking about replacing it, I want to stay with a Canon, but which one? Do I go all the way and blow loads of cash on a 1D mk3 or risc a 2nd hand mk2

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

If the Scandisk SD is the same as the CF cards, it should be quite fast. I don't know your camera, but are you using RAW? If yes, then they are huge and like Matt said, it's probably buffering/writing.

Treat yourself to the 1D - you know you want to! But just be wary of if you have to send it back. Mate had to send his back for a sensor problem and the authorised dealer kept it for the best part of a month. The camera was only two months old, so he was not a happy bunny.

Or you could buy a s/h Mk2, and send me the rest of your money, becuase I need a decent lens ;)

5. theboymike Forum Junkie

If it's a 350D then the card will be CF not SD ;)

Where did the card come from? There are loads of sh*te fake Sandisks floating about, although if you got it from a reputable retailer you should be alright.

The camera is getting on a bit now; I think the largest cards around when they were released were probably 4Gb or less. If you're not already on version 1.0.3 it might be worth updating the firmware as this apparently fixes some CF card communication problems.

As regards upgrading, the 40D and 50D are very good, but if you can afford to go full frame and the shorter reach of your existing lenses isn't a problem, then why not...?

6. N/B

N/B Forum Member

+1, Full-Frame is the most siginficant leap to make.
    CF cards; the words 'egg' and 'basket' come to mind.
    A fistful of 4GBs is a much better option than a 16GB card.
    I shoot for 8 hours at a time, RAW, and don't need (or want) cards as big as that.