"Slick 50" larger cam belt tensioners

Discussion in '8-valve' started by A.N. Other, Aug 31, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I have finally dug this out, though cannot find the old thread it was discussed on, probably 2+ years ago.

Decked block / skimmed head, cue issues with tensioners not tensioning enough, so I was told.

[​IMG]

So on the right is a standard pulley, though I can't be 100% that it is 8v-originated, and on the left is a machined up pulley sitting on a centre bearing I assume extracted from a standard one. Apparently this was the solution in the earlier days though latterly a larger production item surfaced and that was an off-the-shelf solution from there on in. DX block application btw.

I can't add any more, but hopefully the 8AS, mr hillclimber, TonyB and others can shed some more light!

If measurements are needed, I have it sat on pole on the coffee table!

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Drill out the rivets on the orig one, free up the bearing. Make a 2 piece pulley out of ali on the lathe. Allen screw the 2 halves together. Voila.
    My early heron headed 1588 needed this, due to compression 'adjustments'
    Still have then bits somewhere,
    Regards,
    Jon

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Or...you could make life easy on yrself and fit a shorter cambelt. .;)

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

seem to remember in '93 i couldnt find one listed

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to be clear, I've posted this up solely so we further our collective historical knowledge on the techniques and solutions used to optimise a Slick 50 engine... and anything in the present or future that uses the same basis... otherwise it is merely a photo of a relic, and nothing more.

6. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Funny isn't it, it's like fishging. You just drop the bait in the water and sooner or later your desired prey will come along :lol:

My only thought is that a while ago someone (can't recall who now) commented that the cam belt adjuster on my engine in a pic I put up on here was upside down/wrong way round? I've got a 2E tall block but I guess it's pretty similar, not really studied them in that detail. As I said at the time I just fitted it where/how it seemed best. I'd decked the block and skimmed the head so was interested to see if there were any issues when bolted up, had plenty of adjustment to take up slack though.

Now if it is upside down/wrong way round it has worked fine to date and it takes far more hammering than your average engine (maybe not a circuit engine though). Would be interesting to find if it is that simple.

Maybe it's like running the cam wheel without a woodruf key in the cam to adjust timming, sounds suicidal but it works fine and modern cars don't seem to have them at all.

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Certainly true.

Nothing at all wrong with it.. I considered doing a similar thing..even looked at other manufactures tentioners..then it came to me... There must be a shorter belt available.

And there is...and..it's from an iconic car from the vag stable. .5 cylinder audi quattro..I've got the part number somewhere if anyone wants it...took some finding trawling through the gates catalog. .

Any idea what the bigger o.e one is Chris?

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good info. my 1588 will live again, sometime in the future