Slick50 Race engine

Discussion in '8-valve' started by watty1974, Mar 30, 2009.

1. watty1974 Forum Member

I know Mike its been on my mind, i have been thinking and i might build the engine with carbs from the start, this is going to be a labour of love for me and a big learning curve, that way i can leave my standard motor in running kjet until its ready to be fitted, also i shouldn't have any probs with the MOT, next year on carbs??? :thumbup:

2. watty1974 Forum Member

Suggestions for Carbs?

As above i have decided to look for carbs and I'm new to this. I know I'm looking for Weber 45's but any particular model number i should go for when mated to the engine as discussed in this thread?

Thanks again

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You need a type 152 weber 45 (or 2 of them !). DCOEs can be a pain to fit in a MK2 due to servo clearance, unless you run very short trumpets, then they dont produce the good, or at least less than they can.

Theres also a lot more to it than just the carbs (off the work but can go through it later).

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You must need more c.r ;) or the cam timing is out Mike.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's running a bit lean and the ignition timing is a bit retarded as a result. I'm hoping to fiddle with it before the Curby sprint - got the next 2 days off work. Fuel pressure gauges and Lambda meter at the ready, along with an iPhone app called 'dynolicious' which uses the built in accelerometer in the iphone.

It's an ATMR built ex VW cup engine - was reputed to have 170 horses on carbs - currently about 130, based on feel.

6. watty1974 Forum Member

Many thanks hillclimber, i would really appreciate a shopping list (when you get time)before i wade in and buy the wrong things!!!

Regards