Slight coolant weep from radiator sensor?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Alpenweiss2, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hi Rubjohnny!!

After a lot of thought and internet research, I think I am going to replace the matrix for a later style Mk3 one and remove the bypass valve set up altogether. I will also replace/reseal the sender in the radiator!

There is a decent company in Maidstone who supply German parts for VW's, Audi's etc. They have a Topran (German made) Mk3 matrix for only 15.99 and two replacement coolant hoses for only 8 each.

Can't be too bad a job!:lol:

Cheers Paul

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

So, are you doing this first ?

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

First thing I would do is get rid of those heater valves, just use some original mk3 hoses or a bit of copper pipe. No need to remove the matrix just yet in my opinion, mine has been running without the bypass valves for a couple of years now without issue.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

So you had an old blocked radiator that wasn't working properly. Now you have a working radiator the car is running cooler.

If the bottom hose starts cold, and then gets hot only when the car is up to temp, then the stat is fine.

5. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

For the sake of 15.99, I think I will just get a new matrix and check/repair the heater flaps as well. It's got to come apart to check the flaps, so might as well put a new matrix in and remove the bypass valve.

Job done hopefully

Alpenweiss2

6. Hilux Forum Member

Definitely recommend this, I always do. Offers a reliable seal without huge tightening forces required between dissimilar materials.