Small race battery

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by benny, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Moving it backwards improves weight distribution, creates space in the engine bay, and is more likely to protect the battery in an accident.

I used a cable from an Audi 200. Other cars with the battery under the seat or in the boot will also get you a high spec cable for low cost. BMWs and Mercs would be a good place to look... I expect there are more too.

These modern batteries are capable of starting engines down a long cable... I wouldn't worry about that side of it.

2. marmite monster Forum Member

if i get a motorbike battery will my vr6 alternator charge it to much and blow it up kind of thing.?

3. NicD Forum Member

I bought the rmd 25 and cage, total cost of 102 delivered, it seems a decent package.

[​IMG]

Weighs about 8kgs in total I think, can weigh them if any one wants.

4. benny Forum Member

Thanks Nic! I've still not sorted this [xx(]

5. NicD Forum Member

Battery is 5.5k, cage is 500g on a set of digital scales :)

6. mec82 Forum Member

7. RMN

rmn Forum Member

Interesting thread, can these batteries be mounted on their sides?
    I am thinking on the passanger side floor of the race car?

8. mec82 Forum Member

that exactly where mine is on its side, they're sealed so they wont leak. On the AGM type the acid is heled in a jelly form and enclosed in glass fibre so it wont even spill if punctured.

One this to check is the CCA - cold cranking amperage, it does vary significantly between similar batteries so worth finding out, some of the deep discharge types have very low CCA which wont help starting the car on a cold morning.

9. RyanMac Forum Member

sorry for adding to this thread.

I posted in another thread about batteries. I am looking to change mine as it is dead. I have been looking on the rally design website at the rmd batteries but they don't give much details. Also I was thinking about fitting a motorbike battery but the recommended battery for my vr6 is 12v 280amps 60A/H and I don't think it would they would be up to the job and would the vr6 alternator overcharge it....

Can someone recommend me a battery or is the rmd 25 battery anygood....

10. Admin Guest

i'm sure i could have done it cheaper, will check the price at work tomorrow.

11. RyanMac Forum Member

any chance to check the price jon....Which battery was it off the rapid online website

12. mec82 Forum Member

was the Haze HZB12-18.

Tested at abingdon sprint yesterday, started the car maybe 20 times with no issues. I'd only recommend it for a track car with minimal current draw. I've got a cut off switch which I disconnect whenever the car is left overnight and I'd say that's essential to stop it draining.

13. RyanMac Forum Member

My car has minimal electrical draw and a cut off switch....I have disconnected the powered wings mirrors, Passenger side electrical window, sunroof, it has no radio or anything that is not essential...The only issue I see is being able to lock the car once the battery is disconnected.

How does it deal with being charged off your alternator?

How is abingdon sprint as I am thinking of booking onto it in september.

14. mec82 Forum Member

Not sure about the sept sprint but Abingdon carnival is really good, they do 2 track layouts so in sprinting terms you get good value for money, its a really good atmosphere as well.

Seemed to be ok on the alternator, voltage seemed higher than on the full battery so presumably its charging more often? Not sure why there would be an issue with charging? everything should run from the alternator with the engine running so the battery size shouldn't really matter once running.

Really it should be ok leaving it connected as well but it will run down much quicker than a conventional battery, alarms and immobilisors are probably the biggest culprits for this.

15. ianhowell New Member

Can you let us know how you get on as I'm soon to need a new battery and also have a vr6 track car.
    Would rather get a lightweight one next time.
    Using battery cut off and already have the battery in boot.

Ian

16. mec82 Forum Member

I've been used mine for a sprint event and a few trips on the road, took it for MOT last week and they must have stopped and started it about 10 ten times! held up fine to that.

If you're not confident in it then there's nothing to stop you chucking a normal battery in the boot for trackdays etc, i've been doing that but now I'm happy to trust the mini battery :thumbup:

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

I carry a little jump start pack in the car, which only ever gets used on cold mornings, or if I've left the lights on. I've used the car as a daily driver for a bit, when the other cars were off the road. The batteries are fine as long as you have a cut off switch, and remember to use it.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Does it have keys and locks on it. Bin the central locking to save a few more KGs!

19. NicD Forum Member

Just thought I'd mention that maplin are doing solar trickle chargers that either plug in to the cig lighter or have crocodile clips for about 10 upwards. Might help those who are worried about batteries draining away.

20. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Just to bring this back, checked the rmd-25 on RD site, then searched evilbay, found this which has identical spec, looks likely to be the same battery just with a different name label, as the technical bit has exact same info, same font, layout etc.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20Ah-...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item35b5a4f04a

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=14752

Looking at the Rapidonline one too, but may go for the ebay one so we can see if there is another viable option.