Snap-on v Blue Point

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by TJ2727, Dec 21, 2011.

1. TJ2727 Forum Member

Hi guys

Started to look at getting some new tools and while I am no brand snob I quite fancy the idea of getting some quality kit. I have been looking on e-bay and seen that there is some Snap-on stuff at an ok price.

But a lot of it seams to be branded as Snap-on / Blue Point. Is there any actual difference between the two brands? Is there any thing else I should be looking at?

2. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

There both made by snap on but with bluepoint you don't get a lifetime guarantee and it's normaly abit cheaper if you buying new off a dealer. I've been told that the halford professal kit are really good too, lot cheaper and I think they have a 25year or a lifetime guarantee.

3. Collie Forum Junkie

i have some snap on some blue point and some halfords pro stuff. All of which is very good. use my halfords spanners nearly every day also have a rail of 1/2 inch drive h/p sockets not broke one yet had the sockets maybe 8 years now

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Some blue point stuff isn't great - bought my dad some ratchet Spanners which were poor, tbh.

Look at Teng / Gedore for sockets, or Facom / Snap-on / Britool if you can pick some up 2nd Hand

Halfords Pro can be really good for bulk deals if they have a sale on.

5. Lewis583

Lewis583 Forum Member

As said, blue-point is owned by snap-on. It's just a way for snap-on to market tools at a lower price. I have both in my toolbox at work and use them everyday and haven't as yet had a failure on either. I'm on my third Britool 1/4" ratchet though.[:x]

6. barny Forum Member

Blue-point tools arnt made by Snapon, they are "other manufacture" products with the bluepoint logo on them. I have a Ring LED lamp and a bluepoint one, both the same units with respective badges stuck to them. Also hence why its only a years guarantee

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'm another Facom fan , they actually own Britool! But if I could sfford it , I'd have chests of Gedore...

8. TJ2727 Forum Member

Well as an update I did the deed and got my self a full Blue Point service set. I had a really good look at the stuff in the guys van which was branded Blue Point and that branded Snap-On and really there was not noticeable difference between the sockets etc the spanners are not as polished as the Snap-On stuff, but I can live with that.

Have used them a few times and it I have to say it is a joy to have some quality kit and not to have the one dam socket you are after missing.

But a big thanks to all who have given guidance on this.

9. lostprophet99

lostprophet99 Forum Member

Just to butt in here,The warranty on Bluepoint tools seems to depend on your dealer.
    My Snapon Dealer will replace/repair anything broken Bluepoint wise,unless it is an electrical or pneumatic tool.:)

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Facom and Britool are both owned by Stanley now. I've broken a couple of Facom tools in recent years, so I suspect the quality is dropping. I think Gedore are part of the same group as Draper. The days of lifetime tools are almost over I think, but with a lifetime warranty at least you should get a replacement.

11. andyneedham2 Forum Member

12. TJ2727 Forum Member

Well the guy I got my set off said LIFE TIME on the warranty side of things. And he did me a good deal ;) so all is well on that side of things. I cant really see me giving these that hard a work out in reality. But just nice to have some proper kit :)

13. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Ive got a mixture of everything in my toolbox. I try ebay for the bargains best buy was new 3/8" uj sparkplug socket 16 vs 50 on the van use it everyday :-) cant afford snap on sockets so i have siegen for now but 3/8" torx, hex and hex wobbles are snap on there tough but if they break they replace for free. Ive got the bluepoint ratchet spanners some have seem alright but there pliers arent great although snapon ones are better but they rust which for the money i dont think is great. Not to keen on there 1/2" impact guns although powerful there heavy and bloody noisy but the 3/8 version is good.

14. robvdub1 New Member

use tools everyday in my garage and have a good mixture! always prefer snapon as bluepoint doesn't have the fit like snapon, ive had bluepoint sockets/spanners slip so got a snapon out and done the job! halfords pro is ment to be good