Snowboarding with the SLR..

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Jamie_pyrite, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Well on Saturday I'm off to Soll, Austria for a week. I'm taking my SLR this year and I'm thinking about taking it with me up the piste one day to get some photos. I've got a lowerpro camera bag, which has the main compartment at the top, then the bottom section is a large padded cell, split up with padded walls to hold my camera, lenses and flash, etc. While this provides a bit of protection, I'd like to be extra safe.

What else can I do to ensure my gear is safe? I was thinking I could take the minimum "camera+ 2 lenses" and seal them individually in large plastic food bags? Would this cause condensation inside the food bags?

Cheers!

2. jedi_stylie Forum Member

bubble wrap?

Ive taken my camera up the mountain loads of times and never had a problem.. thats taking it in a padded camera bag in my Northface backpack.. only the battery doesnt seem to last as long.. possibly due to the cold?

off topic, have you been to Soll before? i was thinking of booking a last minute holiday there in March. Im a reasonably good boarder but my bro is beginnerish..

Cheers, Luke

3. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Bubblewrap is a good idea, cheers!

I've got three batteries for my camera all together so it should be enough between them to last me! [:p]

I haven't been to Soll, no. But I've read great reviews about it. It's also right next to the Vans snowboard park too. I'll write a review for you next week :)

4. jedi_stylie Forum Member

Sweet, cheers mate!

Hope you have fun! Im off to Les Arcs in 2 weeks, CANT WAIT!!! [8D]

Luke

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

braveman

6. jedi_stylie Forum Member

oh, and if you can get hold of a copy of December Onboard magazine (photo special) you'll find several write-ups and tips for snapping on the mountain. [y]

Luke

7. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

with slr batteries and snow, take em out of the camera and keep em on the inside pocket of your coat so they dont get cold otherwise they wont last long.

dont seal your equipment in bags either! idealy you should leave your gear in your bag and then let the bag+equipment warm up on its own when you come inside from the cold, that way you avoid condensation. i use a lowe pro bag like yours and have done lots of traveling with it and no extra packing it it has kept my camera and 2-4 lenses safe, take it as hand luggage!

enjoy yourself1 :)

8. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Thanks for the tips :) Everything is packed up and ready to go. I reckon I'll be taking it easy on the day I take my camera up.

I guess the good thing is, if I'm falling I'm either going on my knees forwards or landing on my ****!

..in theory [:p]

9. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

hehe :) what camera you use? ive fallen on mine when boarding a few times and was surprised to find it alive!

10. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Canon EOS 400D :)

Well the holiday went great! Camera was perfect and I got some brill pictures. I've got 800 pics to sort through now..

Jedi: Soll was amazing, fantastic area, nightlife was really good, food was delicious too. It's just a shame everything was so expensive with the pound being so weak at the moment.

Snowboarding-wise, the amount of pistes and runs you can use the pass with is amazing, it'd take a long time to cover them all! There were some great red runs, the blacks were generally just steep starts that ran into the start of a red. There were plenty of challenging areas and the runs were nice and wide with some fun gradients.

Snow conditions weren't that good as it very barely snowed the whole week. Luckily, the place is FULL of snow canons everywhere so they certainly helped. Early morning, the runs were fantastic! But as the day went by the skiiers made the runs not so soft [:p]

My favourite run had to be from the very top, down a long red run to the village Rigi. Nice variety of things on the way down!

I'd definately recommend going - I was talking to some people on the plane and they said they've been all over the world and Austria is one of their favourites.

Oh, there's also a Vans park in Westondorf (i think) which is meant to be a lot of fun if you're good enough!

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

words = rubbish

pics = :thumbup:

12. jedi_stylie Forum Member

Nice one Jamie, ill look forward to seeing the pics! Unfortunately due to a change in my financial situation i wont be able to afford another holiday in March.. but ill definately keep it in mind come next season. Recessions suck.

Still, it could be worse.. at least im still going to Les Arcs on Friday! Bring it on!

GET THEM PICS UP!

Luke

13. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Nice one Luke, bet you're excited [:D] I don't think I'll be going anywhere next year as I'll be living away from home at Uni.. But after that, I'll be onto a decent job so may even get more than one trip away per year!

I've improved massively this year I reckon. Got my turns down nicely and was working on my chicanes. It's all about confidence really.

Hopefully I should be sorting through my 800 pics tonight and I'll get them up. Truprint have an offer of 1p each for first 50 prints, then 5p each after that!

14. jedi_stylie Forum Member

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Jamie`s already put up a seperate thread...;)

16. jedi_stylie Forum Member

lol, cheers Stu