So.. can I get a car, like at all?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Matthew320, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Matthew320 New Member

Hey dudes! New here, I like this forum :p

So I've been very interested in getting a car (of course XD)

I'll take anything with wheels, seats and doors and something that's not pink or purple. LOL

I live in the EN4 area at the moment and am moving to N9 area. I just turned 17 (today! [:*:]) and I've been trying to get insurance quotes for all sorts of Corsa's, 206's, everything and it's all been 7k+. [8(] I've heard about classic car insurance and I'm not exactly sure on how it works.

What are my options? Anything to get decent insurance? [:^(]

Thanks for each reply :)

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Happy birthday & welcome to cgti.

I doubt you get a classic policy at 17 I'm afraid, but it's worth a try. Obviously you'll need a classic car first & I suspect anything sporty will be silly money.

Maybe some of the younger members can recommend an insurer? I'm far too old for four figure premiums

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Cheapest way to get insured used to be by listing a parent as the main driver, and the 17yr old is listed as a named driver. I think this is not so beneficial these days, but may be better than 7k

Other option may be a new car with a "free insurance for 1 year" deal. Not many people can afford to buy a new car though

Just turned 17 meaning in you have applied for provisional license or are about to?

4. CovGTi Forum Member

Mk2 Gti's are still classed a high performance. so you wont stand a chance.

I paid 1800 a year ago at 24, let alone 17.

Best way is to have a parent insure it until you are 45 years old at least. then you might have a chance of some decent prices.

5. lard44 Forum Member

You do have to be a little careful with this though - 'fronting' is being clamped down on.

6. mike ashman

mike ashman Forum Member

Well I'm paying 1100 this year fully comp on my mk2 golf gti and that's with 2 years no calims and I'm 19! I went with swinton :thumbup: they say a beetle is one of the cheapest to insure?[:D]

7. Matthew320 New Member

To reply what you guys asked, I'm about to move house so I'll apply for my provisional then with the new address on it. I DOUBT I could get a new car with free insurance for 1 year, I'd have to buy a really low spec model and spending so much money on a car with it being low spec.. doesn't sound like something I want to do. I'd rather get an old mini or a golf mk1, mk2 or anything really.

I've tried putting my dad down as the main driver but it doesn't help at all, it only makes it go down by about 50. Any classic cars you can recommend or anything I can try? Maybe insuring with a private club or something?

Thanks for the birthday wishes [:*:]

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Try you as the main driver and your dad as a named, that brought my friends little brothers down from 1700 to 1300 on a golf mk2 1.3, also going fully comp and uping the value of the car brought it down another 100, bonkers but thats just the way comparison sites work. Not really worth trying to get insured until you have a full license, gone have the days where young drivers can learn in there own car as insurance companies do see it as a large risk.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

VW do a deal on New Polos with 1 years free insurance.

Pass your test first. Then look into it. Good luck.

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

If you insure a car as a learner your premium actually increases when you pass your test as you're no longer being supervised.

My daughter's went up by 300 when she passed

11. CovGTi Forum Member

Swintons are cheap for a reason. They leave you high and dry if you ever need to claim.

Just personal experience i suppose.

12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Im 25 now, but back when i was 17 i had a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v for a first car.

The price was knowhere near 7000 back then.

I was paying 250 a month (3000 a year), but it was worth it ;)

Why not try getting a quote on a Mk2 Golf 1.3, should be cheap shoudn't it ?

13. Matthew320 New Member

"One year's free insurance available from Volkswagen Insurance available on S, Match and SEL models only for drivers over 21 years" NOOOOOO :(

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Feel sorry for you mate. It seems to be soooo hard being 17 and insuring your first car these days. [8(]

15. Matthew320 New Member

I guess I won't be getting a car :p

16. m1keh Forum Member

You checked admiral for a quote? try a quote on a 1.1 litre 106 and see what comes back...

17. lewp91 Forum Member

if your rents are ganna be the main driver then make sure they own the car on the v5.. otherwise you will be caught for fronting..
    put the mileage down to less than 8k. play around with vehicle value and excess..

direct line etc were cheap for me.

look at 1.3 drivers and stuff like that.

18. thegave Forum Member

Whatever car you get as your first car should be a really low spec model:
    1. They're cheaper to buy
    2. They're cheaper to insure
    3. You're less likely to get attached to it

Bear with it for a year then upgrade, that first year of experience and NCD goes a long way.

Most companies won't offer Classic Car Insurance to young drivers so look for the oldest, cheapest car that isn't desirable and ask for a limited mileage policy, Social, Domestic, Pleasure use only. Classic cars can't be that much cheaper to insure considering they are desirable by nature.

Also remember that it's now 2012 so you can looking for "old and cheap" starting from about 1995. If you want VW how about a Mk3 Match Golf 1.4 or similar.

19. Greigzy Forum Member

Admiral do a multicar policy and have been fantastic for me - its your own policy but you get a discount for every car insured with admiral in the household.

For example - I was 1700 fully comp on a lupo 1.4 with all mods declared.
    1200 with a years no claims on a mk4 GTI Anniversary 1.8T
    1000 with 2 years no claims and all mods declared on a Lupo GTI
    600 with 3 years and all mods declared on a Mk2 Golf GTI 8V

20. thegave Forum Member

You generally get a (small) discount if you say there are other cars in the household, or other cars that you have use of.