soft VW 6mm allen key heads

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by vrbanana, Jan 21, 2009.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Found a perfect solution to the stupidly soft 6mm VW allen key heads when they round off, had these for ages and never used them, tried one today and it worked perfectly

Part number is BEX161 and can be bought singularly from the robbing ****s at Snap-On but Im sure other people will do them as a set

[​IMG]

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

thats mint - I didn't know they worked on allen key heads - have an issue with some really stuck m5 allen keys and was wondering what to do with em as they will be a total git to move if they round off - know if they work with 5mm allens ?

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you get the set of Irwins , quite a selection of sizes. They've got me out of the poo loads of times (when I was working)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IRWIN-BOLT-GR...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Just search irwin bolt on eBay, loads listed.

Did an E46 320d exhaust and the bracket had broken off and been dragging up the road, had dome headed external torx bolt which half of the head was missing, one of the irwins gripped it and fetched it out, amazing!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

for 5mm heads use BEXM101 which is a 10mm extractor, the one for the 6mm heads is the 1/2" extractor

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Individually they are 14.30 + VAT for the ” and 13.40 + VAT for the 10mm from Snap-On

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think I paid around 40 for the whole set (10) (Irwin) off Mac Tools.

You get a basic set then add on another set.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Good price :thumbup: I got this set (13 extractors) as a gift from a mate who is a dealer in another area, I wouldnt have bought them at 144 + VAT :o

9. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep, they just look like rebadged Irwin Bolt Grippers - 20 ish for a set of 5 from Screwfix etc

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got the irwin bolt gripper set. they have saved me many a time with these silly allen bolt. the best save was one of those 5mm allen ones hiden under the flywheel for the sump

i broke the head off the allen key getting it undone. the bolt gripper saved my ass

11. ryanp Forum Member

i got the 10pc set for 16inc postage, saved me LOTS!

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

What make were they Ryan? I saw something simular for all 10 but forgot

I got the irwin ones both sets because the first set didnt fit :p

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive killed a few of my irwins. anyone else killed any yet? they do have a lifetime warrenty

14. James_mk2 Forum Member

They're great, used the snap-on ones at my old work and they were brilliant, got me out of so many problems with rounded bolts and allen key ones! Been looking for a set for myself for ages

15. ryanp Forum Member

Irwin, they were listed on ebay for cheap, they were gone within 1 hour! i had a 5 off voucher so i got them for 11 really!

Ry

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I agree with GVK the Irwin set a life saver, mine gets used all the time by the lads that forget to turn the crank on a 3B passat ;)

it's the only tool that lives in my butty ruck sack & comes home every night regardless

17. altern8 Forum Junkie

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Irwin bolt grippers are great kit if they fit on the nut/bolt... I slip and impact socket over them, and use them with the impact wrench.

Last weekend I used them on:

Steering lock shear-bolts (10 minutes to get the column lock off, no hacksawing, just bang the bolt-gripper on with a hammer, so it gets hold of the head)

A seized dome headed screw on a soft-top hood frame. It ripped the ally that the screw was threaded into, but it still came out! Just needs a bigger screw to go back in.

I've also used them on rounded downpipe nuts in the past... top stuff!

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Banging them on with a hammer seems to dull the end of the 'blade' part. I'll happily buy another set when they don't work any more though.

I put an impact socket over them so they don't shatter in the impact gun, and because it's a 1/2" drive, whereas they're 3/8"

20. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Pffft...I`ll show my a*se in Woolworths, before paying those type of prices...[:s]

I find a 12-point, 12mm socket fits perfectly (after a bit of persuasion) over things like rounded out driveshaft bolts...