Sound Deadening

Discussion in 'ICE' started by mashed, Sep 14, 2009.

1. mashed Forum Member

Hi Guys, I have just started stripping my Golf out for it's VR6 Conversion, And Fixing some wiring along the way, The Problem i have is the insulation was very sweaty and smelly, Does Anybody know anything that is cheap and good quality to replace it with, I also want to reduce the road noise, Any ideas, Of a roll type material I can buy that will do this, I used Dynamat on the previous one. But it's a bit too expensive, And can't be bought in big enough rolls, Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
    Brad

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Anything cheap you get, wont be very effective. you could use roof flashing tape

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

4. mashed Forum Member

Hi Guys, I will look into getting a roll of this stuff for the Smaller detail bits, Any Idea's on a roll type material? For doing the boot and the Footwells?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Depends on how much you want to pay. You get what you pay for with ths stuff. The Dynamat xtreme is good but expensive. I got Damplifier by second skin from Car audio direct. There is other stuff Edead, Brown bread, fatmat. They are cheaper but need more layers to be as effective as 1 layer of the more expensive stuff.

Boot and doors are good areas to be deadened

6. mashed Forum Member

I was looking at damplifier, Do you know anywhere that get's it cheapish? I'm going to need a big role to do the whole floor of the mk2, I'm doing all the inner panel bits as well. Doors, The boot, behind the rear door cards, I wanna go all out on it, Save me coming back to do it again! And also the roof If i can get the headliner out without damaging it!

7. sjgreenaway Forum Member

ear plugs or turn the sounds up

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Why don't you get a bulk pack from Car Audio Direct. I got one of these and did 2 doors and a boot and still have quite a bit left. 40sq ft is quite a bit, plus you can double up in certain areas to improve further.

9. mashed Forum Member

Hi Dude, I'm looking at getting a bulk pack of about 40 sqft, Will that be enough to do the floor? From front to back, Trying to reduce some of the road noise, Which is the main reason for doing it. I've found some cheaper stuff, 32sqft for 44.99 posted, I'm thinking it's worth a punt! Better than no sound proofing :)

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

40sqft is nearly 4 sqm. It should do it. The cheap stuff may be ok, But you would need double the amount to be effective as the damplifier. Its how they make expensive cars feel solid and well built. Plus it keeps sounds "in" the car. Most important bit of ICE IMO

11. mashed Forum Member

Well my other car is a Vauxhall Omega (Free Gift From Uncle), And you can shout as loud as you want at the windows and you can just about hear a faint noise inside, And at 100mph you can have a conversation! World apart from the golf! And the Golf's gonna be the holiday car, So i want similar noise levels on the motorway, Rather than that hum and reverb they get coming up to 90'ish. I'm going to use the flashing tape on the doors and behind the cards, As it's a lot more cost effective than cutting up a big sheet of sound deadening for it.

12. gtijon Forum Member

I suggest you have a read of this:

http://www.vord.net/cars/mgb_mods/noise/sound-proofing.html

It's a written by a bloke who used to be an acoustic engineer in the car industry. So I suspect he may know what he's on about. What surprised me was the absence of bitumen stuff stuck to every surface. Just the odd damping pad here and there, which is what you'll find if you open up the doors of most cars. The key thing appears to be sealing everything up, and putting in something decent on the floor.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It doesn't come in a big sheet. its small sections adding up to 40sqft. The hum would be coming from the boot area as its a a flat area close to exhaust and the road.

14. mashed Forum Member

Hi Dude, Very Interesting that article so i may be better off putting some of the open cell floor insulation you use on laminate floorsunderneath the deadening material. To isolate the noise i was thinking something like this:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9278682&fh_reftheme=promo_159792330%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372028}%2fcategories%3C{9372109}&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372028}%2fcategories%3C{9372109}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dunderlay_for_wood___laminate_flooring&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1253099825685&isSearch=false

Sorry for the long link :lol:

Thanks
    Brad

15. gtijon Forum Member

Might do the job. If you google acoustic insulation and sound deadening there are a few firms that sell stuff designed for the job. It's a bit pricey, but might be worth it if you haven't got a lot of time to spend trying different materials.

16. paultownsend Forum Member

i took all the smelly deadening out of my mk2. just carpet now. tbh i cant tell the difference! only no smell :)

17. altern8 Forum Junkie

what about roof flashing?

18. Classy6 Forum Member

RAAMmat is what I used in Mk2... have to get it from the states but it's still about half the price after import duty & shipping.

Good stuff, Rick the owner is possibly the most helpful guy I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

The product isn't bad either ;)

Few pictures in build thread if your interested.

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I found 2 carpets does the trick after the insulation, I've got the ugly grey carpet and a nice black one hiding it. Helps a bit and keeps a bit of warm in during the winter.