Sound from rear driver side tire

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by samoraga1215, Feb 21, 2013.

1. samoraga1215 New Member

Hey lately I've been hearing a sound on my MK3 GTi VR6 from the driver side rear wheel area... Its sorta like the sound of a bicycle when you stop peddling. Kind of like a repetitive clicking sound... Its gets faster when I accelerate but if I'm going fast enough my engine drowns the noise out but still I wanna know what it is and get it fixed.. when I brake the sound goes away... any ideas? Ive researched a little and Ive seen people say it could be like something stuck in the tire tread but its definitely not that because it goes away when I brake and also when I shut the door a metallic rattle sound comes from the same area.. any ideas?! Any help would be appreciated....

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Best to actually get the wheel off and have a look!

Normally a noise from the rear wheel would be bearing or brake related, but since you said there's a noise when you close the door, I'd guess at a corroded (and hence loose) brake disc backing plate.