Soundproofing Jetta boot

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Jonsie, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

I am looking to improve the sound in my MK2 Jetta. As we all know, the original 3.5" speakers in the front dash are woefull and I have replaced them already with some JBL speakers and and a new head unit. I want to fit speakers in the doors with the OEM covers etc but I was wondering about speakers in the back of the car. I would like to put some in the parcel shelf and make it a stealth shelf as I don't want the speakers on show or ruin the original look. I plan to run them through an amp that I will attach to the metal rear parcel shelf in the boot keeping it out if the way. I don't want a large sub or anything or a boot install as I kite surf and need the boot space for gear.

However, my question is; is it worth soundproofing the boot and floors for better sound? I think it is and would like to do this properly, just wondering if anyone has done this and seen the benefits.

Thanks

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

If you are not going to run a sub or two then I wouldn't bother soundproofing. Probably better to mount the amp somewhere else like the sides of the boot or under the front seats. They are not designed to be attached upside down due to heat.

3. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

You have the right idea take the door pockets out for the 130mm mounts and fit a component set and see how you find it. I just have the entry level discontinued JBL GTO 505CE in mine (but you could do a lot better) and it is passable until the windows are all down.

You can gut the standard speakers and use the frames to mount the tweeters.

[​IMG]

Excuse the dirt and rust. The dash is cracked around the screen vents and needs replacing anyway.

[​IMG]

The rears are custom Kenwoods in the standard mounts, really just midrange so I tend to keep the balance forward now.

4. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

I won't bother with the sound proofing then and fit the sump on the bulkhead/ back of the seats in the boot. That should work and leave enough space for air to circulate.

I really like what you have done with those tweeters, its a really neat solution hey! I am going to remive the door pockets and go for some decent speakers in there. I will do some research on speakers, components/mids and see what I can find. Then I will fit a pair in the rear shelf in the original locations under a stealth shelf. Should be ok I think with some really good components.

Thanks again