SP50 ban/points effect on insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Lofty, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Lofty Forum Member

I (stupidly) got nicked doing 104mph on a fairly clear dry M4 on saturday morning. I'm trying to get an idea on how much my insurance might go up as a result of the short ban or 6 points i'll be recieiving??

Also is there a benefit to having a ban instead of points as far as insurance goes? I was going to plead for points instead of a ban (i have no points or convictions currently) but i'm not sure what has greater effect on my insurance?

2. GazB Forum Member

If you get banned then your insurance will go sky, not as bd as a DD tho

3. ADegelas Forum Member

For minor (SP and TS type) convictions you don't tend to get much of a loading if you don't get more than 3 points. The more points you get the higher the loading will tend to be, if you get a disqualification the some insurers will load by 100% :o
    Try to get plead for points!!

4. Claypole Forum Junkie

I got banned and my insurance went down. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Lofty Forum Member

claypole - please expand??

I need a clear strategy for the court

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I got 5 points for doing 93mph, but it was still classed as a SP30. I think I got that many points because I only had my licence for a year, but luckly it didn't affect my insurance, except when I was a named driver on my girlfriends policy.

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

why is it classed as SP50 when you are in a 70mph zone???

8. ADegelas Forum Member

The 50 part of the offence code doesn't relate to the speed, it relates to the classification of road that you were caught speeding on.

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

so how are the roads classified then??

10. Claypole Forum Junkie

I got caught doing 110mph on the M1 in a Corrado VR6 (I'd already got two previous motorway offences, 6 points for one and a 2 week ban for the other).

Traded the Corrado for a 1.6 Polo GL [:^(] and went to court saying I'd got rid of the car as it was too fast for my own good. Two month ban no points and a fine.

Didn't matter really as I'd lost 120bhp and two cylinders and quite a few insurance groups so it cost me less after the ban was up. :lol: [:s]

(the general word round this area is anything over 100 will get you a ban) :thumbup:
    Edited by: Claypole

11. C4 DUB Forum Member

<DIV>You should try driving in Cyprus 100kms/hr on the "motorway" and about 60kms/hr max on "normal" roads. Let me just add the the motorways are always empty.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Its not easy to stick to the limit. </DIV>
    <DIV>Its OK though in hunting season or in the winter as most of the cops have better things to do than play at traffic cop :)oh yes and at night they "hide" on strait roads, usually with the patrol car facing in the wrong direction, with the blue light going!! No need for road angels over here. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>If we get caught for speeding and we still have our UK driving license they cant put points on it so most of us either have two or just keep our UK ones. The fine i think it a quid per km/hr over on the normal roads and 3 quid on the motorway so i suppose its not all that bad??</DIV>
    <DIV>Tim</DIV>

12. MrBen Forum Junkie

SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limits

SP20 Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)

SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road

SP40 Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit

SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway

13. N1CK Forum Junkie

I got 3points 2months after i passed my test [:x] [:$] :lol:

I was doing 92mph on a duel carrigeway, when i was stopped by the Devon and Cornwall c**tstabulary, who are well know for there nazi ways [:x] [:@)]

A word of warning to people coming to cornwall, the police are proper c**ts ive yet to meet a half decent one!!

When i was caught i was in one of my dads sale cars a 1.2 punto, the officer said "tell me sir have you any idea how fast you were going?" "No but im sure you will tell me!" "92mph, do you know what the speed limit is on a road like this sir?" "really!? i didnt think it could go that fast! *snigger*" "step out the car please"..................D'OH [:^(]

14. mothy Forum Member

erm also they ask you how big a fine you got - the more the fine the worse your insurance will go too - your best with points& a fine tho, than a ban for insurance..

i've had 2 TS20's [:D], a CD10 (when i was 18), an SP30 67 in a 40 = 4pts & 100 fine, & an SP50..

i've got no points now though..

15. N1CK Forum Junkie

i got an sp40 and an asbo :lol:

16. Firas New Member

I have points on my record - i got a SP30 (with 3points) over 2years ago -
    what do you have to do to get them off?

I heard its one point per year - when that time comes (December for me)
    who do I call, the DVLA?

Cheers

17. DuBDuDe Forum Member

soap on a string springs to mind ;)

18. C4 DUB Forum Member

<DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>as far as i know they (as long as you got them at the same time) will come off at the same time. 2 years i think? But a maybe wrong</DIV>

19. mothy Forum Member

i thought it was 3 yrs officially.. but 5 yrs for insurance purposes - another con !

& they only physically come off your license if you send it back for a change of address, or lose it & get a new one..

20. Karl_H Forum Member

points come off your license after 3 years but can be removed physically (i.e. new license) if you send it back after 4 years,

Devon & cornwall cops aint that bad youwere doing 22mph over the limit and in a 1.2 punto you were obviously raggin it to death, all this cops are c**ts cos they pulled me is rubbish, yes the speed limits are outdated but it aint their fault they are just doing a job. I was doing 90 on the M5 one night just north of exeter and was being lazy just sat in the fast lane (was very early morning) and a guy comes up behind me and flashes me to get out of the way i thought it was some big headed 3 series driver or something so i didnt bother moving next thing i know blue flashing lights. so i changed lanes the lights stopped and the guy just drove straight past. They could easily have given me points but didnt so they cant all be bad.