Space heater

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Trev16v, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I need to get the area of the workshop around my MK2 shell reasonably toasty so I can complete the underside sealing and painting, which is a no-go in current outside temperatures.

Am I likely to be able to get the area warmed up using a 60ish 3KW mains space heater from eBay? Workshop is 10m x 5m and has no insulation, but just need to get corner warm. Could maybe put up welding curtains to keep warmth in one area.

Or is a significantly larger space heater going to be essential?

2. Trev16v

3. jasongtr Forum Member

no idea if this will help (probably not)

my unit is 20m x 10m and quite a high roof, not insulated too, if i have my propane gas space heater on for a few hours it will get warm(ish) certainly a lot warmer than outside turn it off and within 10/15mins its really cold again, as your space is smaller and most likely won't have the height mine has it should be ok i would of thought, if you can screen a section off even better.

4. Marty's Dub Forum Member

5. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

My log cabin is 6x6x2.75 and a 3 kw Stanley heater takes the chill off and gets slightly warm after 2-3 hrs [:s]
    Our 18kw log burner heats it up in about 30 -45 mins then you need to open the doors it gets so hot lol toasty lol

6. Marty's Dub Forum Member

7. Nowhere Fast New Member

The aldi ones are quite good for a smallish space - up to a double garage maybe, but depends on how well the space is insulated.

8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Insulation is the key, king span is what you need

9. Nowhere Fast New Member

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Heat loss is a bugger, my 200,000 btu heater only takes the chill off the workshop :thumbd:

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Yes but toastie if you stand in front of them lol I've got a big Draper one :thumbup: could warm my upstairs warehouse if I fixed the roof shut the roller shutter door and it wasn't 4000 sq ft :( but my office is nice and warm that's why I sit in it as much as possible telling my lads it takes a lot of organising a factory , while I mess around on here[:s]

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Can't stand too close, it burns my **** lol
    Upstairs office is nice and warm though, it's 6000sq ft but I've bought the side off a marque to section it off to 4000sg ft and stops the wind rush when the roller shutter is up

13. Trev16v

Thanks all for taking the time to give the above recommendations and advice. I'm particularly impressed by heat loss calculations! [:D]

For the actual problem in hand, I ended up finding a little 2KW heater (that I had totally forgotten about) stashed away above the workshop, so I positioned that facing the particular area I was having trouble getting heated up, and this was sufficient.

I think I will still invest in a decent space heater for these cold months though.