speed trap detection devices

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by 1982.rpd, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 1982.rpd Forum Member

What are the best ones, got a few to many points [:[] and need my licence for work!

need 1 to pick up them sly as fook Surrey police who hide in camo in bushes/up trees ect with the speed guns :lol:

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Slow down then... [:[]

(Or, like me, go for something from the Snooper range. I`ve had a Neo for about three years now. Never let me down... ;)

3. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Cheers stu:thumbup:

4. 1982.rpd Forum Member

5. StuMc

You definately want a GPS based device. The one in your first link, just looks cheap and nasty, and probably won`t be that reliable.

The Snooper one has good reviews, and IIRC correctly is the replacement for the one I have.

It doesn`t just benefit you in warning of fixed cameras (Gatso, Truvelo, and, SPECS), but it also lets you know when you enter a school zone, so you can be aware that there may be children in the area.

It also alerts you to `accident blackspots`. The funny thing is these seem to also be where you are likely to find a camera van up ahead... ;) :lol:.

Another good function is, you can set it to `motorway mode`, so you don`t get unwanted activations from cameras on local roads nearby. `City mode` does the same.

You can set the range too; from 50m to 1000m. I find 250m is plenty.

And yes, it does pick up laser too. You can see there is a prism on top. This is the laser detector, and it works...

The thing is laser traps are being phased out in favour or radar, so you`ll be lucky to see a laser activation. Funny how laser detectors became legal, at around the time most forces were switching to radar, and radar detectors remain illegal...

6. Adam_16v Forum Member

I saw an old episode of Fifth Gear and they pick all types of radar in urban areas (eg. automatic shop doors)

I also assume the detectors are not much use as when they pick up the radar, it means you have already been caught [><]

7. StuMc

The Snooper one is a laser detector, not radar...

And it use the GPS position of known fixed camera sites.

8. Elf458 Forum Member

talex! i have one, very cheap for what it is and compared to others. its a lazer detector but also shows LED digital satalite speed and warns of any camera or accident hot spots!!! has options for different levels of warning. it can warn about every single layby of you ask it. mine is wired into ignition which was easy as pie to do.
    Dean