Spot weld cutter or drill bit?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by mat-mk3, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

So I have some brackets to remove on the Mk5 and as usual there is spot welds everywhere!
    On the MK2 I used a normal drill bit and made a terrible mess to be honest. I want to do it properly this time.

I see there are two common types of spot weld remover. A drill bit and a weld cutter.

Looking around, the cutter seems to be the better one and more useful. Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers
    Mat :thumbup:

2. Joe16v Forum Member

Spot weld drill bit seemed to work pretty well. No idea on the other.

3. Luke S Forum Member

Wurth spotweld drill bit is all i will use when building the mk5 race cars at work! there not cheap but alwase leave a good finish (if used properly) And they last well too! A tin of CT90 compound will help make them last even longer too...

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Yes I second a spot weld drill . They're not cheap and you must use cutting solution as they're a cobolt drill .
    You can resharpen them but if you use cutting solution and take your time which is a must anyway for good results the bits last for ages :thumbup:

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thanks guys! Do you just squirt the fluid on the spot weld and then drill it?