Spraying, removing and refitting mk2 golf headliner

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by dave18, Aug 3, 2007.

1. dave18 Forum Member

Hi peeps, two questions here,

Firstly how easy is it to remove and refit a golf mk2 headliner with a sunroof???

Secondary how difficult would it be to spray it black,

the reason for this is at the mo im slowly doing the mk2 up and want a black headliner but at the mo its grey and a few other colours so want to whip it out and spray it then refit,

Cheers peeps

2. Leon R Forum Member

I was doing it today! I'm not sure about the spraying part but i'll tell you how i took it out.

Last week the rear headliner part dropped down and scared the **** out of me when i looked in the rearview. So I thought i'd spray glue it back on.

I found it a bit of a b1tch job. Because the headliner is made from some sort of foam material it cracked in loads of places, i didn't realise how gentle you have to be with it.

Take off the grab handles, sun visors, mirror (get a good hold and twist it from the stem) and 4 round clips using a flat knife or side cutters.
    The sunroof surround unit pulls backwards.
    Theres a trim that runs along the boot that pulls off (be careful with this one)
    You will need to pull down your door seals half way, take off your seat belts at the pivot with a 17mm to pull down the B and C pillar trims a bit.
    Open the sunroof and take out the black seal but see how it attaches back on especially at the corners.
    Remove A pillar trims.
    My head liner was glued underneath the sunroof seal, unstick it.

That should be about it and you can start pulling it down and taking it out from the boot. Get another person to bend the b and c pillar trims while u feed it out.