Stainless steel exhaust and ISV valve

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by andykram, Jul 27, 2010.

1. andykram New Member

Well, it finally looks like my exhaust's on its way out so I may as well save up and put a decent, full stainless steel jobby on as the silencer's knackered and the back box is rusted through. I thought about Milltek but can't find any mention of Mk2 stuff on their website so question 1 is to ask for some recommendations that would suit a nice 8 valver. I'm trying to eek out a bit more power whilst keeping the car as original as possible so don't want some massive drainpipe stuck out the back that sounds like a jumbo jet. There must be something out there that's more subtle.
    Secondly, the car is occasionally sticking at around 1500rpm at idle (say, when coming to a stop at lights) so I'm thinking immediately of the ISV valve. Is just cleaning it going to sort it or is it best just to stick a new one in?
    By the way, the car's a run out 1.8 J plater. I really appreciate any help you all can give.

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Supersprint or Jetex aluminised exhausts are both good.

With your ISV, give it a clean out firstly. With the car warmed up and idling, unplug the ISV and check that the rpm drops to ~1k

If it is still a tad fast then adjust it down with the idle screw and re-connect the ISV:)

3. andykram New Member

Cheers Chris. What's best to clean the ISV out with?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

don't clean it yet, first make sure the idle switch on the throttle body clicks when the throttle closes, and the wires to the back of the throttle body haven't snapped. check the throttle shuts firmly to the stop, if it doesn't the throttle cable is too tight

5. andykram New Member

Just out of curiosity what should an 8v idle at when all is tickety boo? Mine idles at pretty much dead on 1000rpm (when it isn't getting stuck!!) which seems a bit high to me. But a definitive answer as to what it should be would be very much appreciated.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

around 900ish in general

7. andykram New Member

Hmmmm, then mine's a bit high then but I won't worry about it too much. The sticking idle is also quite a rare occurance so I'll maybe get that sorted when I can be arsed. Been for a good drive in it today and it runs as well as ever really - it's only at standstill when I can see these slight problems.
    So there's the solution - just drive faster and don't stop!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]