Stalling 16v!?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Steve B, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

All of a sudden the other day my 16v has started stalling whenever the Revs drop too quickly, it does this untill the temperature needle is right in the middle

any ideas what it could be ? ISV?

sometimes it will work fine even from cold, but most of the time the revs just drop off and the car stalls. this happens every time i press the clutch so im having to drive with my foot on the revs most of the time which is quite tricky

any ideas?

2. Guests Banned

yup mine has done this for 2 years.....it isnt the isv

all i have dont is set the tickover a bit higher and it stops the car from stalling into roundabouts etc

im having a service soon so hopefully it will be fixed.....but it was missed on my last 'VW service'

3. Steve B Forum Junkie

i just dont understand why all of a sudden this has happened parked up in the evening it was fine, got in the next day and there were problems

anyother informaion you can give me im gonna go out now and see what i can see

4. faz786 New Member

ISV mate I had the same problem as u on my G2 16v. Replaced it running fine now... [:D]

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

well ive just swapped the isv, and afterwards it didnt change anything, so i swapped the ISV controll unit thats behind the dash (at least ive been led to believe its an isv control unit)

then i swapped the ECU for another and the thing on top of the ECU but that ECU was broken so i swapped it back to the origional and now the car is working again

but it ould just be warm,

so im gonna let it get cold again and try again later.

recardo, have you replaced the isv controller behind the dash? i just put a multimeter across the connections going to the ISV and i couldnt get any kind of voltage read out across it is this normal? i would have thought that there would have been some current there to controll the isv?

anyone?

6. Cerberii Forum Member

Have you checked the throttle switch?

7. Steve B Forum Junkie

where is the throttle switch ? and how do i check it thanks :)

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Check the temp sensors on the end of the head, should be three. One is temp gauge, one for ISV and one for ECU, they can affect things. Also check for air/vacuum leaks in the ducting and check the throttle switch on the throttle body is closing/clicking at zero throttle.
    Unless that switch clicks shut the ISV won't be controlling the idle as far as I know.

Also, is the overrun cut off valve (grey thing under the ducting from air box to throttle body) connected okay? A leak there will cause the engine to stall when the revs drop. :)

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

ill check these out, but could you help me of the position of the sensors and things unforunately the engine is somethign ive really left alone as much as possible and i dont know my way around it and what things are and what they look like

however after swapping the isv controll unit the problem seems to be rectified, but id like to know the position of all these things incase i get in tommorow and the problem is back cheers

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

For the newbies, there's a set up guide for mk2 16v idle on my website. :)

11. Guests Banned

where abouts is the isv control unit? do i get to it from inside the car or under the bonnet??

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

its inside the car mate

take the bottom of your gear stick gater thing off (it should clip off)

remove the screws holding the center console in place under there

then remove the two screws that attach the center console to the dash at the sides and pull the center console forward or out of the car.

you will see some wires attached to the back of the center console some will go to the fag lighter and leccy windows if you have them

the others will go to a black box this is the isv controll unit as far as im aware you should be able to replace it easily if you can find another. its quite light, ill taake a phot of mine later if i remember

good luck mate

13. HidRo Forum Member

Is there anyway to test that black box?

14. Guests Banned

ok ill check that this weekend! :)

been driving me mental for ages [:x]

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

unfortunately i dont knwo anything about this black box what it does or how it works, so if there is a way of testing it i dont know about it

the only way i can see is to swap it for another, but on my car i swapped the isv and this box for another and it didnt chnge anything untill i started the car two or three times after, now the problem has comepletey disapeared so give it ago worth a try recardo let us know how you get on...

16. Guests Banned

cheers mate will do :)