Standard or Moddified ?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Bobby_T_16v, Jul 11, 2007.

?

What do you prefer ? or more impressed with ?

1. Standard but in Mint condition

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Modified

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

What are you more impressed with ? A mint standard veedub or one thats moddified?

2. craggsy Forum Member

No option for tastefully modded

3. Jonny777 Forum Member

Im with Craggsy there.
    Tastefully modified is good! :)

4. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

What im trying to figure out, is what Im wanting to do. I love to see a good car in standard form if its in really good condition. But i have the urge to start modifying my car a bit more that what it is so far.

5. inoakgreen Forum Member

very tough one!!! tastefully modded is good, but i have to say standard minters will turn more heads - probably!!

6. mk1steve Forum Member

tastefully modded hands down but a minter is also brilliant too

7. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

standard, except for engine work. sleeper
    no baked bean tin exhaust pipes thou

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I only appreciate mint standard Mk1's and late Mk2's. I dont realy like any of the others in standard form but love some of the modified ones.

9. Admin Guest

You have to mod the engine and chassis IMO. Keep the exterior OEM +

10. g60notter Forum Member

i definately second above :) just stay off the jap cut baked bean tin exhaust [:x] and any other ricer accessory :thumbd:

11. m47k Forum Member

all good being modifed but there no point if the cars crap condition in the start better to get it top nick then mod it

12. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

i'll go with that.......

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

what about oem but very sutile mods ie de badge rear

14. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

HA HA :lol: i tipped it 50/50 !!!:clap:

got to be modified :lol:

i have owed 3 atandard mk2 gti's and moded ones are more fun !

obviously tastefully done mods no whale tales here!

and you really have to be " show AND go " go AND no-show FINE (down with the rat)

but SHOW & NO-GO

JOG-ON:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

15. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Change the wheels and suspension and leave it at that, keep your old wheels and suspension and within a day it can all be reversed should you feel the need! Only thing i've changed on the exterior are number plates and lights.

16. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

I like more more power but standard on the outside. I hate all this crytal clear ****e, single head lamp grille rubbish. Why put Steel wheels on a GTI (referring to G60 Steels) or take off all the GTI trim and replace it with CL crap. Why would you change pinstripe grill on a Gti when that is probably the one key feature that makes the car what it is visually.

People on here continually slate other brands such as Ford and Peugeot but they change there cars so radically it turns into something VW would have probably laughted at. The VW add a few years back was little over the top but they had a point.
    Mk1 and Mk2's i think should be no more than OEM+ no stupid wide 13" rims or mahoosive 17" alloys or silly paint jobs.

My 2p

Mk3's and Mk4's need modifying as they are as dull as dish water but are very comfortable and practical and great in their own way.

17. sportline Forum Junkie

good poll!
    if its older than a mk3 i like totaly standard mint best. allthough i do like a well modded car.
    for me though, ive modded cars in the past, and if im honest, with every car each mod has made it very slightly more unreliable, harsh, loud, unpleasant to use. and effected its value. thats why i bought another mk1, because i love them standard.

18. Aphex Forum Junkie

Says he with Porsche wheels.. :lol:

19. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Standards better than modded up but as others are saying I'm all for the tastefull extra here and there.

20. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

I have to admit, mk1's and mk2's look amazing in OEM form. I know what people are saying about mk3's, that they should be slightly modded. For myself I feel the same about mk3's being in standard form. Being honest how many have you seen on the roads in mint condition ? It seems like many were bought and never really appreciated ! Lots of them are covered in rust, scratches, dents and whatever worse. I take a lot of pride in my mk3. There is nothing special about to everyone else, but to me its very special. It was the car I wanted from the age of 17 (sad but true). I spend on average 6 hours per week cleaning and I hate to use the word "detail" it.

I think Ill look into Coilovers and upgrade the brakes. I would like to improve performance and handling but keep that "original" look.

GTI's have a lot of history, and should not be messed with and should always keep the "GTI" look about them.

(for everyone with G60's/VR6's, im not saying I dont like them, TBH I love all the performance golfs)