Starting after a long break

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Stu_polo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Stu_polo Forum Member

Well the time has come to get the old girl running after being stationary for 18 months, I tried starting her not to long ago and could get it firing although the idle incredibly rough and would only idle with the choke out.

I want to give it ago tonight but i'm unsure as to why it might have the running problems? electrical? etc.

What would you do if starting a car after 18 months?

ps the car is a 1.8 mk2 driver with a weber carb

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Crank by hand a few times to build up oil pressure before starting.

Fuel will be old so may need to drain it but I would expect it to start and just run rough...

Run it up to temp, change the oil, take it for a run if it seems ok and fill the rest of the tank with optimax.

3. Stu_polo Forum Member

Ok well i started it and we had a small amount of success.

I changed the fuel filter, put fresh oil in it. It took about 10secs of turning over before it gave a kick and rev'd to about 3000 (didnt want to take it any further than) before it spluttered and died. That was pretty much the jist of it for the next 5 or 6 times of trying.

I will probably try draining the fuel and putting some fresh stuff in next. does anyone know what to do with about 40 litres of stale petrol?