Starting an ABF turbo project

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by LregG, Feb 3, 2009.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

hello boys and girls.........

A little about me first......

I've played with cars for a fair while now but i have never run a standalone ecu or carried out my own mapping and this is where my next project will come in. I have converted cars from carb to bike carbs, carb to injection, supercharged to turbo with my favourite creation so far being 'the beige beast' '84 polo breadvan turbo which some of you may know of.

Anyhow, i have recently gained a mk3 16v that i am currently saving for or gaining parts for the project, i started last weekend and so far i have secured a ko4 and a BAM exhaust manifold.

I'm going to go to my local precision machine shop and get them to knock up an ABF head to BAM exhaust manifold conversion plate from two gaskets. Once the turbo is on i'll get a friend to knock up a 3" downpipe which will be mated to a custom 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" single box exhaust system.

I'm not sure on wether to go 1.9mm stacked gaskets (9.1:1 compression) or to use 2E pistons (8.5:1) but either way i'm going to swap out the standard rods for 2E items as proven by toyotec, they can take some abuse.

I'm hoping the ko4 will spool well on the ABF making it a torquey unit with enough flow for up to 280bhp at max boost.....Only time will tell

Obviously i have to get an ecu, loom, injectors, fuel rail and an inlet manifold made to suit (thinking of a big throttle body to be used) and also get an uprated clutch etc but i thought i'd make a start to the thread

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. Ess Three Forum Member

You may struggle to see 280 BHP...even in an S3 the turbo is a heat pump by then, so trying to run 1.3 bar sustained to get the 280 BHP needs some very efficient ICs.

Sort out the intercooling...and it's possible. just, I'd say. A K04 just struggles to fill the cylinders with much over 1 bar on a 1.8T.

A 210/225 S3/TT inlet manifold mates up to an ABF TB size wise IIRC, but the holes are about 5mm R out. There is just enough meat to tap into but I wouldn't risk it...but weld the holes up and re-tap and the ABF TB will work a treat...you can use the standard ABF TPS sensor too.
    FWD 1.8T does too...but the inlet to the manifold is on the LHS and harder to do the pipe runs, I'd have thought.

ABF TB is the same size as VR6s...and they seem to be able to run 400+ BHP on a standard sized TB, so you should be fine.

Mill the ABF lower inlet manifold back to the thickness of the flange and a 1.8T inlet manifold will mate up - if you are handy with a dremmel to tidy up the flowpath.

Using that lot gives you an easy pipe run from the BAM hard pipe round the engine (if you can get it to fit) through the hole in the inner wing to a decent FMIC, then back into the S3/TT TB.

At least 1.8T fuel rail, injectors, FPR etc will all go straight on.

Fuel lines pretty much mate up too.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I am collecting parts for the same thing. But have sourced an S2 turbo and manifold with fifth runner cut off. I have a modded S3/TT manifold that has been mated to a KR 42mm lower inlet. I currently have Red top injectors from a SAAB but have been advised that they are too small by Toyotec [:^(] . I have been looking at 440cc "green Giants" as they are meant to be a split spray pattern so they are better suited to multivalve heads. I am goin MS 1 V3 but haven't bought it yet.

How much stronger are the 2E rods compared to the ABF's?

Look forward to seeing how you get on.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This is not ideal. Best to fabricate a custom exhaust 16v tubular system and choose an appropiate turbo.

Proper way is to purchase 9:1 turbo pistons. Next cheapest way is use stacked gaskets at my measured 9.1:1 compression ratio. 2E rods added for extra robustness when engine swings to 7500rpm. 9.1 benched marked from previous JDM 2.0 T motors. Good compromise between off boost response and det limited torque during turbo run up.

As said, you would be better off with custom components even if you are chasing bhp numbers such as "280hp"

Dont start chucking parts to togther and think it will work. WOLF R project was given a lot of thought. Parts not chosen by chance.
    For these components a any 1.8T intake system can be made to integrate with a CIS 16v Golf/COR/PA lower inlet manifold. It would contribute quite a lot of hardware used for the engine controller. You can use your ABF throttle on all once you match it to the throttle bore and mounting holes. This can be done with a dremel. The choice of manifold is dictated by turbo mount direction and or pipe run again give this some thought.
    Clutch, if using a 02A gearbox, from sachs/luk 02A to sachs sport.

If you want to know more then please free to pm.

5. LregG

I'm not really chasing figures, i'd like it to be as driveable as possible for minimal outlay.

I have heard of ko4's producing 280bhp so just quoted that as a figure.....The ko4 was purchased as i know they spool really well and know that this charactistic will make the engine nice and driveable.

I had an on/off turbo in the beige beast but i'd like something a bit more refined this time round.

Talking about intercooling, i have got a jabbasport 20vt chargecooler set up kicking around somewhere that may come in usefull???

Toyotec: No doubt i will drop you a line soon, thanks for the offer

tshirt2k: toyotec added a pic of abf vs 2e rods once and you can see a notable difference

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

dont 2e pistons have to have nicks cut for the valves? ide go with proper pistons imo saves stacking gaskets etc, and for the price there worth it, bildon are pretty good pricewise..:thumbup:

7. Toyotec

No they do not. You have to make cut outs in them. Pistons are more ideal. But stacked gaskets work very well. Have had them on my 285ps@6200rpm engine for the last 10000 milesduring all types of engine testing.

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

em is that not what i said when i referred to nicks?:thumbup: :lol:

9. md20vt Forum Member

The 2e 8v pistons have no cutouts on them but I can't see where anybody has mentioned using them. I read that they were going to use 2e rods which are still 159 mm but a little stroger than the original abf items. I think that clears up that ?

10. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

i know thats what i said[:s] ''dont they HAVE to have nicks cut for the valves''

11. LregG

Might have to abandon the project due to overtime/bonus cuts at work [eek]

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

That was quick!!:o

13. LregG

being realistic mate, rather i wasn't but hey ho, on the back burner for the moment at least

14. GGR

GGR Forum Member

I guess they do need the cutouts which the 2E pistons DONT have, thats what we are trying to get at? :lol:

15. LregG

tdo5 16g purchased the other day, a bit bigger than i had originally thought (physically) but will flow well enough for 285bhp with stacked gaskets without breaking a sweat as this is it's bhp target as stock, with more available if required (heard of these flowing enough for 360bhp) as and when money allows forged internals.

First turbo i have ever seen with twin internal wastegates or flappers (so no boost creep problems then, yay) as the mlr boys like to call them lol.

I'll post some pics as and when i find my bloody lead

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  16. Toyotec

Hope this is a genuine CD9A job and not from ebay!
    EVO 3 turbos can deliver up to 320lbft of torque and maintian that pretty high up in the rev range, that is why the turbo is capable of "385bhp" on a 4G63T . Will work pretty good on a VW 16v motor, switching fully on by 3500rpm, subject to good calibration.

17. LregG

it was purchased off of ebay but i tracked the previous owner down on the mlr website to find he was selling it on there too as the original turbo from his 29k mile evo7......so hopefully it's the genuine kiddy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be purchasing the following manifold to try and adapt it for use on the abf, for 120, it's got to be worth a go

[​IMG]

What do you think??

18. nass Forum Member

Kinetic motorsport sell them 16vt manifolds for the 16g mitsi turbo

Nas

19. LregG

really......i will have a little looky looky, cheers

20. LregG

that's for a single entry dsm turbo mate

[​IMG]