Steering colunm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by stevesellars, Dec 30, 2009.

1. stevesellars Forum Member

hi gang

i'm replacing my steering from a fix to a adjustable one now i've got the replacement adjustable colunm tube and i new steering lock and a new barrel and the 3 new sheer bolts (2 of tube 1 of lock) now whats the easyest way of do the swap? i have to take the steering tube out of the middle but how? any help

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

drill/grind the heads off the bolts or chop a slit in it and get a screwdriver on there. I have had success using mole grips on the thread sticking out the back to crack the bolts loose. the one holding the ign lock on is probably barely finger tight though, so that shouldnt be a problem.

3. stevesellars Forum Member

is the anyway of taking the steering colunm out though the top end of the tube i know i need to take off the colunm cap

4. rubjonny

yeah, if you take out the bolt holding the column to the uj, undo the bolt holding ign lock housing to tube, then disconnect the electrical plugs the whole column comes out with ign lock attached :)

5. stevesellars Forum Member

then how do i take the ign lock off the colunm?

6. rubjonny

you dont need to, just put it back into the adjustible tube :)

7. stevesellars Forum Member

want to replace th lock with a new one i've got

8. stevesellars Forum Member

ok job done this is how i did it,

once all the plastic trims where removed put the key in the ign to turn off the ign lock and the steering wheel and arms are moved and all connecting wiring was removed from the ign lock housing.

then removed the UJ bolts so it hung down rescrewed the steering wheel nut back on the protect the tread on the colunm and with a plank of wood on the nut start hit with a hammer it won't come off on the first hit so keep going you'll see the gap between the sleeve and the nut getting smaller this the sleeve coming off, once its off, keep the on the end to stop the colunm for sliding down the tube.

Now this is easy if you have a drimmel or sim, with a angle grinder attachment cut a deepish grove in to two snap bolts holding the colunm to the dash board frame, deep enought for a slotted screwdriver and unscrew them do the same on the snap bolt on the ign and job done took me half hour.