Steering lock/ignition barrel broken - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Tom_vRS, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Tom_vRS Forum Member

Well, my steering lock has jammed on.

I still have the 2 original VW keys for the car, and none of the locks have been changed. I really like the VW cutout in the fob, so ideally want to keep them.

The steering lock jams on, and the key will not turn in the ignition barrel at all.

So what parts do I need to buy? And can I get the ignition barrel coded to my key?

Cheers in advance!

Tom. :)

2. mexicorich Forum Member

Which car are you talking about?
    Don't know if this is a common problem, I havn't heard of it.
    Yes the locks can be matched but there is something curiously wrong with yours. The old stuff that I am used to can have the lock removed from the barrel mechanism withit still fitted to the column. Haynes manuals for Mk1,2 Golfs and Sciroccos show you where to drill to pop the circlip inside and withdraw the ignition lock. Then you can take the whole barrel/column lock off the column (unclamp it and take the steering wheel off to withdraw it off the end of the column).
    The plates within your existing lock can be swapped over to the new lock to match your old keys, or you could swap the plates about in the new lock to get the closest match and file the plates the rest of the way to get them to match. You will soon figure it out once you see the parts, just dont loose the tiny coil springs within the lock that ect upon each lock plate when you withdraw the plates

Is it you with the rear Jabba VRS anti-roll bar for sale? Why you selling it?

3. Tom_vRS Forum Member

Yes, I do have it for sale. The car is being put back to standard prior to being handed back to the lease company... I'm going to run the Mk2 GTI as a daily driver and get some savings together so I can get on the property ladder.

I have the steering lock housing off of the car. I cant even turn the key in the lock now.