Steering Wheel control buttons not working

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by gareth7285, Sep 10, 2015.

1. gareth7285 Forum Member

I have a 2008 golf mk5 1.9 tdi, which i bought recently. The control buttons on the steering wheel don't work, nor do the illumination lights on steering wheel illuminate when you turn on the main lights. ( was bought like this ) i have been looking online for reasons, so i know suspect it may have something to do with the clockspring which is in the steering column. I know about disconnecting the battery and allowing time before removing the air bag module. What does worry me though is after i have done all this and assuming it is that part at fault, is when everything goes back together, will the engine actually start, or would i need to get it on the vagcom to clear any faults first. Don't want to mess about with the car too much as i really need the car going at the moment. Also does anyone know any other reasons why it might not work ? Also the horn only works if you press the centre of the horn button, if thats any help to you. Many thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

are you sure the wheel was standard with the car? it might be a PO bought it as an upgrade for a poverty spec wheel and didn't bother to do all the stuff necessary to actually make it work...

I'm not sure if you have to upgrade any hardware in the car when fitting one of these wheels but there is some coding work in VCDS needed to do to switch it on:
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Wheel

VCDS is the first thing you should buy when you want to do any real work on these cars as you can clear codes, check measuring blocks to see sensor inputs, check buttons respond etc

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

As John said VCDS is a must when working on this cars
    As if you up grade or retro fit anything 99% of the time you need to code it to get it working

4. gareth7285 Forum Member

Hi all, thanks for your replies. It never crossed my mind that the steering wheel may have bee an upgrade. I have a disc called vag com release 409.1-US on my laptop, and i am pretty sure i have seen vcds on the screen aswell. It came with a blue lead, one end has a usb plug, the other end is a 16 pin socket. This was primarily used for my mk3 golf. Just wandering if it would be suitable for the mk 5 golf. Also where is the connector bit in the mk5 golf, as i dont have a hand book for this golf yet.
    many thanks

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

think the newer stuff needs a hex+can lead
    though you could try the lead you have but i'm thinking it maybe limited to what you can do with it