steering wheel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by robertGTi3, Sep 18, 2009.

1. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

When I take my foot off the accelerator pedal my steering wheel drops about 1” to the left and when I put foot back on the accelerator the wheel kicks back up to the same place,

so foot off it go’s down, foot on it go’s up

[:s] any ideas?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

wishbone bushes /ball joints /lose captive nut /track rod end
    any of the above

3. James_mk2 Forum Member

mine did this but much more noticeably and it turned out to be a slightly loose wishbone, so this smaller amount of movement could well be due to the wishbone bushes starting to show wear?

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the rear wishbone captive nut had come lose on my last golf
    boy was that fun in the wet[xx(]

5. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

thank you all :thumbup: will go and get it cheched 2day

thats put my mind at rest as i thought is was something to do with my gearbox

6. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

update

Went to vw and was told that the lower arm rear mount had totally failed (see pics)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Vw want 109 to do the job [xx(] the part I need is only 17 from them, but is it a easy job to do myself?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can buy a complete wishbone with bushes fitted for cheap, gsf and avs do em. much easier than prerssing out/in stock bushes

8. burkey Forum Member

Is that 17 for a new wishbone or just the new bush? How do VW justify that charge of 109 :o

9. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

it say to relpace the pivot and rear mount bolts? and will i need to get my tracking redone?

10. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

17 just for the bush