Still got problems

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DanGPR, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well the next step is to get the fuel pressure tested, that'll tell you whats going on.
    edit: a bit of machine oil dripped down the vacuum port revives sticky fprs sometimes, worth a go :)

2. DanGPR Forum Member

Already tried WD40 and GT85 down the FPR, at different times.

Would using oil give adifferent effect than using these fluids?

3. rubjonny

probably not :(
    edit: are you deffo getting good vacuum out of that port on the throttle body? pop the fpr pipe off and start the car, make sure its giving a good suck. I THINK it'll run with that pipe off, worth a try anyway :lol:

Make sure its on the connection closest to the inlet side, and to rule out anything strange happening at the airbox end see if it helps to have the vac line plugged in direct and leave the airbox pipe disconnected.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yes cos my stuck fpr was originally fixed with wd40. it then got stuck again

then i put oil in it and it was cured

5. DanGPR Forum Member

There is ZERO vacuum on the FPR pipe, As in, i couldn't feel any with my thumb over the end of the tube.

What the bloody hell could cause that?

6. rubjonny

aha, time for you to give your throttle body a damn good clean! the holes in the side for the vac connections are very small. may even need to whip it off to get it proper clean

7. DanGPR Forum Member

It finally appears that I'm actually getting somewhere.

Not a very difficult job to take off the throttle body, is it?

What should i clean it with? Petrol? Isopropyl alcohol? Soapy water?

Would sticking a pin down the vacuum nipple not clear it? Or is it likely that inside the throttle body is pretty grimey, and I may as well clean it?

By the way, rubjonny, you are a god amongst men. I can't thank you enough for giving up your time to help me and others with engine problems!

8. rubjonny

its only 4 allen bolts, but see what you can do with it in situ :)
    iirc there was summat about it that made the job easier with it off the car, cant recall? mabe summat to do with the bypass screw or maybe there is no direct path from the vac nipple. Worth putting a pin down it anyway, see where that gets you!

f you have petrol or alcohol lying about that'll do a great job, plus a toothbrush. WD40 works but its not as good, carb cleaner is great. Soapy water I dont think would do a lot on baked on crud :lol:

9. DanGPR Forum Member

Put the WD40 tube down the nipple, gave it a few squirts then pushed a 2mm allen key up it, loads of black **** was on the end of the allen key.

Don't think it has fully unblocked it, will have it off tomorrow. How does the throttle body get so dirty?

10. rubjonny

itsd all the oily vapours that come out of the PCV on top o the rocker cover that does it!

11. DanGPR Forum Member

Cleaned out the Throttle body good and proper, was pretty Grimey.

Didn't seem to make much difference.

Took it down to G-werks, one of the lads had a look at it, took it for a drive. He said it was flat as feck, nowhere near the power it should have. Which pleases me as it means that my engine has much more to give!

The dizzy has gone up **** creek, and it's not advancing the timing as the revs rise. Which is causing it to misfire.

So going to order a new one from GSF. Also, he has a kent GS3H , that I'm pretty interested in, when i get her running good.

12. DanGPR Forum Member

Changed the dizzy for a second hand one, car revved through a lot better on the test drive.

Went to drive it about na hour later, would not start. Eventually did start, but on the way to pick up a girl, it cut out and would not restart :(

About 20 mins later it did start, managed to limp it home, put the old dizzy back in and it starts fine and doesn't cut out, but it has the revving problem again.

Going to take the new dizzy back and either swap it, or get a refund. GSF don't have one in the whole country and VW want 116 quid plus VAT!

Anyone know of somewhere i could get a new or decent second hand distributor?

13. rubjonny

ebay, they sometimes pop up. I think I gave my old one away :(

14. DanGPR Forum Member

Changed the dizzy. No difference.

Whilst driving the car, it has developed a horrendous misfire, no idea what it is, but has made the car pretty undrivable.

Misfires from idle, will rev with about 4k with alot of spluttering and backfiring.

This is REALLY putting me off buying another mk2, ever... I just want to bloody drive it!

15. rubjonny

sounds like a wiring fault then, either that or coil/tci/ecu has packed in!

16. DanGPR Forum Member

tci?

im thinking coil wad on its last legs, now it's shagged.

17. rubjonny

tci is the metal 7 pin thingy on top of the ecu maounting bracket :)

18. DanGPR Forum Member

How could a connector go wrong?

Have decided when it is running properly, it IS getting sold. I can no longer justify plunging money into it.

I brought it thinking it would be a reliable little car. Ended up having something that drinks more fuel than i can put in it, isn't anywhere near as quick as it should be and is just a liability.

Has left a very sour taste in my (VAG fanatic!) mouth. [8(]

19. rubjonny

its what tells the coil to spark, you'll find them on pretty much all MK2s made.

20. DanGPR Forum Member

Apparently everything is working as it should, and the ECU has eaten itself.

Would appear they can be picked up relitively cheap off ebay. Last chance saloon!