stock 4cyl trigger wheels. sensors and microsquirt

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by thegeo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Hi, ive got an issue with an ady crank sensor on an 8v running microsquirt v2.2 on a non race daily driver

Question
    Are stock ady/aba trigger wheels for VR the same as an abf with hall?

Background
    I have a sync loss /reset at 5000rpm. I have an ady bottom end with the stock VR sensor and stock 60-2 internal trigger wheel.
    The microsquirt has no vr trim and I've tried fitting a variety of resistors to the VR signal line, but this just moved the sync loss rather than eliminating it. Moved it down as we'll, which doesn't really help!
    Choices seem to be:
    1.VR conditioner board and minor reprog, but I'd actually have to get hold of a VR conditioner and Jean Blanger from jbperf is moving house ATM.
    2. Abf hall crank sensor with a pull up + minor rewire and reprog, but the abf sensor would have to work with the ADY/ABA trigger wheel.

I have another engine with a polo hall crank sensor, MS2 3.57 , Wasted spark and hyabusa ITBs, that works (although is hard to start below -18C). So limited fear!

I don't really want to pull the gearbox and clutch off the ADY to fit a polo sensor and wheel

Advice please!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Now I'm really confused.

Maybe i'm thinking too hard about ABA VR sensors, having spent 10yrs in North America.
    The catalogue thingy suggests that trigger wheel PN for ADY, ABF and ABA are the same.
    so either OEM hall or OEM VR sensors should read that wheel if set up correctly. One question answered!

BUT, the catalogue says that ADY and ABF have the same crank sensor 037 906 433A.
    is this hall or VR?
    ive actually got one on order, so if i know what it is, ill know what to do with it.

I'm pretty sure that ive got the original crank sensor in the ADY block, from when i bought it in 2003.
    It was unused for a while though, as the motor was in a k-jet car. i don't remember changing the crank sensor, as it's just been a plug in the block for 10 years, but im not 100% sure.
    its set up in the microsquirt as a VR. the car drives around nicely, but wont rev over 5000rpm.
    if it was a hall set up as a VR, it just wouldn't work at all, right?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABF ADY and AGG engines use a Hall sensor.
    1.8T and VR6 engines use the variable reluctance sensor.

4. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Aha! so the aba is the anomaly being 8v and VR.

So I must have slotted an ABA VR sensor in the ADY block and the gap is now wrong....
    Convert the ms to hall it is then

I assume there's no issue with the stock ADY setup and MS that I should watch out for then?

5. dubstardom New Member

Sorry to bring this back from the dead....

I have an AGG bottom end and I am heading the MS route. My engine didn't come with a crank sensor, just an empty hole. Am I able to buy the ABA VR sensor and just drop that in? I assume the toothed wheel is the same across all engines......

Having VR would be easier for me to wire up.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can use the crank sensor from a VR6 engine if that is the case.

7. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Got mine of eBay.
    021 907 319 B

Btw
    Turns out my initial problem was a dead vr sensor. New one fixed tthe rpm limit issue.
    I had assumed that the sensor would either work all the time or not at all rather than intermittent or "only works up to 5200rpm" fault.
    How wrong that turned out to be!

There's a lesson to be learned there.

Well at least I have a spare v3 uS module ECU on the shelf, and yes it's loaded into that digifant case that you dropped of before Christmas Toyo!
    I should either fit it to one of my already MS cars or just buy another GTI

Still I have a mate with an athsmatic KR 1.8 rally car that's just crying out for an hot ABF

Geraint

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Toyotec likes this.