Stock Head Unit Options?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by GG., Mar 10, 2016.

1. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Hi All!

The stereo unit in my gti has a cd stuck in it for about a year. Not that I don't like that cd, but it gets old lol

When I hit eject the stereo unit makes a spinning/grinding noise for about 5 seconds and then displays CD ERROR or something along those lines.

I believe I have the RDS300 stereo. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

I imagine that fixing the cd mechanism will cost almost the same as upgrading to a more modern unit. I'd like SD card or USB connectivity too.

What are my plug and play options? I'm not willing to cut up any of the cars original wiring. The car is a 2005.

Cheers :thumbup:

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

There must be an adaptor, but in the days before such things were available I've used red bullet crimps on a number of vehicles. It's easy to go back to stock too if you keep same male/female pattern on each connection. If you stagger the cuts space shouldn't be an issue either.

3. Break Forum Member

it may be worth looking to getting it fixed, i read recently that it cost around 100 pounds to get a Head unit looked at.

other than that i would probably try and find the same unit, or another double din of your choice,

iso adaptors are good these days so you shouldnt need to be chopping up the wires to get another unit to fit

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i'd take the top cover off nothing to lose

5. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

6. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I thought that you couldn't use the CD changer if the the head unit CD player is faulty.

7. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

Not sure as mine is ok but I suppose it depends on what the CD player fault is and how the RCD 300 "sees" the fault. If the RCD 300 thinks that the CD section is in use then ok course you will be correct.
    I now use my iPhone (5S) as well as my iPod and I bought a nine pin adaptor from Apple. Of course it doesn't charge but for most of my normal journeys it's fine and lets me use the Waze voice through the RCD 300.

Nick