Stock rev counter on aftermarket EMS?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Golf 1.8T (IE), Jul 8, 2004.

1. Golf 1.8T (IE) New Member

Hi there, I'm running a 20VT in my Golf mk II on a Motec EMS, and the dead rev counter in my dash is really getting to bug me! There has to be some way of getting the two to talk, or of somehow wiring in the stock rev counter so it can work - does anyone have any ideas?!!

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

har har!! I have the same problem trying to run a mk4 rev counter in my mk4 dash running dta managmemnt in my mk1...i have been given various stories for why it wont work...digital signals and analoge signalls etc. I know on the late mk2's and mk3's you can get the counter to read half value. I am thinking of installing an aftermarket rev counter in the mk4 pods...maybe this is an option to you. If you do get any sucess with this please let me know! :lol: :p

3. veedubber Forum Member

Vento mike, on your DTA the tacho output is pin 9. Can't you just take the signal from there. I am for mk3 clocks.

stef

4. Golf 1.8T (IE) New Member

Bloody hell that sounds messy! I've heard stuff about convertors that alter the signal produced by the coil packs to be readable by the stock counter, so surely even though we're running different EMSs the coil packs should still produce that signal?!

5. AMY

Amy Forum Member

got my corrado one working like that, did you keep the coil packs stef?

6. veedubber Forum Member

No, i have gone for the HT leads and the single coilpack like Vince always reconmends.
    Seeing you got yours to work off pin 9 for def, i think i'll go wire it up later in mine [:D]

stef

7. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

dta supply a seperate tacho feed on mine which is the wrong signal type..but I will be using the double coil from a pug which only gives half a reading as if you were just reading two cylinders. if there is some way of joining them together then that would be what i'm looking for!

8. matt d Forum Member

I'm having the same trouble with mine (DTA on a mk2 16v)
    Bill Brockbank reckons the only way of getting mine to work is to use the original ecu and coil and use the hall sender wire to connect the tacho feed from the new ecu, in other words make the car think it's still running on factory ignition system. Bloody don't want all that crap cluttering up my car though so i might just fix an aftermarket one in front of the original one.

9. Golf 1.8T (IE) New Member

There is a tacho signal convertor available in the US (5th from the bottom here) that will supposedly convert a coil pack signal to something an older cluster can understand. The question is, do the coil packs still produce this signal on aftermarket engine management?

10. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

im wondering if thats just using the stock mk4 signal...to convert that to mk2 clocks[:?:] [:s]

11. Golf 1.8T (IE) New Member

Well it claims to work on any pre-95 clocks, so if you've a mk III of that vintage you're in ;)

I think the thing about this device is that given that it works from a signal generated by the coil packs, even though the wiring mightn't be present in our aftermarket EMS's the coil packs should still generate that signal - so it should just be a matter of installing a feed, wiring it to that converter thing, and on to the relevant pin to count those sweet revs!

12. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

how about connecting a dta system up to mk4 clocks? anyone....same as mk3 signal[:?:] [:s] [:s]

13. veedubber Forum Member

just try it, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

I'm using late mk3 clocks, i was told when i link it up to pin 9 on the dta it should just work

stef