Strange cruise control problem

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Dubnutter, Feb 14, 2012.

1. m1keh Forum Member

Yeah thats right, it's just the signals it sees are different....

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

sounds like a plan, il try that tomorrow. So do you think the one of the brake switches isnt working either?

the lights obviously work but there is a blue and a black switch on the brakes.

3. m1keh Forum Member

Yeah if you look in your first video you can see of the two brake switch values only one is going to 1 when you press the brake pedal. The other one is staying at 0.

4. Dubnutter Forum Member

ok so am i going to have to take a 12v ignition feed from somewhere and cut one of the wires to the clutch switch and the non working brake switch?

5. m1keh Forum Member

Yes take a fused live feed from a wire near the fusebox. The brake switch you need to change should be connected to pin 20 of the ecu. And again it needs to give the ecu 12v when the pedal isnt pressed and nothing when the pedal is pressed.

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

Cheers for the help mike, il try it tomorrow and let you know how it went

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aha yes now i see, in 8d2cruise96.pdf the brake and clutch switches both get a live feed from the ecu relay 'A71 - connection (86) in dash panel harness' rather than switch to earth as the golf ones do '220 - earth connection (sender earth), in engine wiring harness'

no need to change any ofthe ecu pins those are all the same, brake switch F to 44, cruise clutch F36 to 17 and cruise brake F47 to 20

8. Dubnutter Forum Member

I did change the cruise on signal wire, thats deffinatly in a different location on this new ecu. all makes sense now, il get it sorted later today[:D]

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sorry i meant just for zee pedal switches :)

10. m1keh Forum Member

If it doesn't work still you might have to try the other pair of original audi chips mate and see if those work. If they do and the other ones don't I will get you a tuned pair of those sent out.

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

I will let you guys know when i get from the MOT, il mock up a power feed to both and see what happens.

Cheers mike, il try those chips first before i make the changes.

12. m1keh Forum Member

Those chips definitely won't work without the changes mate so not really worth trying them.

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

ok, well we will see what happens, fingers crossed, if this works il need to put something into the cruise guide so if anyone gets the same issue with a different ecu they will know what to do.

14. Dubnutter Forum Member

So i guess it also explains why my gear changes are not very smooth at the mo, as the ecu isnt backing off the fuel momentarily when the clutch is dipped.

15. Dubnutter Forum Member

right, after testing the theory, the switches work the opposite way to the way they should, so with the clutch and brake pressed, there is no signal, but when not pressed there is signal to both.

so im guessing the audi switches work in the opposite way too

so based on that i need an audi a4 clutch and 2nd brake switch?

16. Dubnutter Forum Member

having done some more digging, the brake switch for the lights works in the way I want it to, ie push to break. So I have ordered two of these as the Audi clutch switch is silly money. fingers crossed it should now work.

Although I dont understand why the cruise control wont engage as without the presence of a signal the ecu should assume the pedals are not pressed. [:s]

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

All sorted, working fine. Cruise now works fine, no fault codes, all good. Cruise on switch needed to be rewired in order to match the reverse wiring for the audi ecu.

Just need to fit a brake and clutch switch. So at the mo the only way to cancle is to shut off the cruise control.

Cheers john and mike! Legends [:D]

18. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

So...to clear this up, the audi cruise control switches work differently to the vw ones or is this a 8/16 bit ecu issue??

19. Dubnutter Forum Member

I dont if its an audi or a 16bit issue, im guessing probebly a 16bit change.

20. m1keh Forum Member

Its an Audi 16 bit issue, I'm 95% sure that changing to a vw 16 bit shouldnt have these problems. But the audi ones come up more often at a better price.