Strange vibration/engine noise in cabin

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Alpenweiss2, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

As both myself and my girlfriend have Mk2 gti 8 valves (1991 and 1989 respectively), I get to drive both cars regularly.

In my girlfriends car the engine noise and vibrations seem alot more prominent inside the car. The dashboard often vibrates and when the car is idling, the vibrations can be felt through the steering wheel!![:s]

My car feels alot smoother and the engine noise/vibrations are hardly noticeable.

My girlfriends car has had a new decent quality (German made) front engine mount, and a few months back the rear engine mount and the gearbox mount were both replaced. (Not sure of the origin of these as the garage got them in??)

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem?

Cheers Alpenweiss2

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

I'd suspect engine mounts.. tbh if the garage got them in there's a strong possibility that they're sh*te :thumbup:

3. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Engine mounts probably. I fitted a new gsf rear mount and it sounded like the wheels were about to fall off. I ended up filling the old one with rubber sealant and putting it back on.

Not definite the mount is faulty, there just might be a bad design causing clearance issues somewhere. Or as stated above they could just be sh#te.

4. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

check the gearbox bracket mounting bolts on gearbox end, they foul against chassis leg sometimes after mounts are replaced - giving that whole car is vibrating feeling!!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nothing wrong with gsf mounts that I have fitted on several mk2s, maybe you got a duff one alexis?

as above check over the car for stuff hitting, the 2 bolts holding the metal bracket to the gearbox would be 1st place to check, look at the exhaust as well. oh and make sure all the bolts are tight, some garages are a bit useless when it comes to simple jobs like this :lol:

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

It could well have been a clearance issue John, there's not much space around the back of the engine on mine. ie they work fine but if clearance is tight the slight variations between aftermarket and oem could lead to contact. As you say well worth checking the bolts are torqued correctly.