stretched!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by stella, Jun 23, 2008.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I think these people are such fashion victim's its untrue.....

they build cars literally just to take to meets or shows where people stand around dribbling over it.... I would be suprised if the police don't start clamping down on it tbh - there is no way a ligitimate MOT tester would pass a car like that??

2. jedi_stylie Forum Member

some i took of it at Stoner Park

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think it looks cool, would catch me doing it to my wheels though lol

Luke

3. HacKage Forum Member

They may well be fashion victims, and not alot of people like it, but what about "heroin chic" that was the fashion a few years ago, or size 0 nowadays?Fashion is a law unto itself, and you will always have people following it, no matter what you may think of it.Fashion before function and all of that....

And as far as the MOT guidelines, this very car started a big debate on the E38 forums and judging by the comments, some would pass it, some wouldn't, as there is nothing that says what is allowed and what isnt regarding to stretch/poke.

4. TurbTech Forum Junkie

A little bit of stretch looks good on a 'show' car but its all about the attention. They'll get bored of it and move on to something else stupid like, chequred boot floors for instance ;) :lol:

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well it is widely acknowledged that a stretch of that magnitude is potentially very dangerous... any MOT tester would know that and should NOT pass a car that is potentially dangerous - hence the whole point of a MOT!!! lol

6. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

looks sweet, but maybe dangorous. maybe ott.

7. HacKage Forum Member

It may well be dangerous and yes MOT testers should know but at the end of the day, when you look at the MOT guidelines, there isn't, as far as i can see anyhow, anything that gives a definitive answer to how much stretch you are allowed or not, and how far the wheel is allowed to stick out from the arch.
    As i said before, this has caused a great debate on E38, which branched out on the police forums, and even on there, while many didnt agree with it, and alot thought it was stupid, they couldnt say whether it was illegal or not.
    But as TurboTech says, its just one of these things that will become too popular and the scensters will find something else to move onto, but i think the chequered floor is a step too far hahaha.
    In the past there has been quite a few mods that people have done to their cars for the attention, all with varying degrees of danger linked to them, but as long as people have an imagination and a want to break the barriers, stuff like this will go on.Rules, they say, are there to be broken.
    Have you ever exceded the speed limit on a public highway?As since i was a kid, I have always been told that speeding is a killer and many of us have had experience of this and if you want to put it bluntly, as you said, "is potentially very dangerous".Doesn't stop us speeding sometimes....

8. Paul_R Forum Member

For me ... a bit of stretch looks cool.

That much looks plain stoopid.

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Crikey - I hope the chap whose car it is doesn't come on here and read this thread and blame me!

:lol:

10. Paul_R Forum Member

Just hope he wants to give you a quick easy death and not put you on his mega-stretching machine.....:lol:

11. WillG

WillG Forum Member

pff I'm going to start a craze of putting oversize tyres onto really thin rims :lol:

12. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

The "Squeeze" Look:lol:

13. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

A little stretch is good, the pics of that Bora is crazy !

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

The front wheel/tyre looks spot on

15. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

there is no clerance between the tyre and arch what so ever. the suspension must a stiff as a stiff thing. must be a nightmear going over speed bumps and uneven roads. it must only be like that for the show.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

air ride suspension most likely

17. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Thats what i was thinking !

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Im sure it was said early in the thread but the car belongs to the main editor of PVW IIRC, they've had a build section on the car for the last year or so, and obviously yes the car is on air ride.

And just to clear something up, I DONT buy PVW but my posty gives me a free copy ;)

19. jedi_stylie Forum Member

yep its the dude from PVW. the one with the really bright pink winter wheels...

whats wrong with PVW anyway?

20. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

IMO a car should look as original as possible but with a hell of a kick from the powerplant (ooh! get me, powerplant) Nice paint nice wheels kick **** performance. Well i'm halfway there, mines as standard looking as they come, just need extra under the peddle.