Strongest clutch for 020 transmission?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by NickMcCartney, Dec 13, 2021.

1. NickMcCartney New Member

Evening all. Can anyone recommend a clutch kit with a pressure plate that has really good clamping force?

I’ve been looking around and can’t seem to find many places that do a range of clutch options for the 020.

im running an AUQ 1.8t which I know isn’t ideal with this box. I’m building a box which will hopefully stand up to 180hp and can’t stand replacing the clutch every thousand miles.

If anyone can recommend websites that’d be really helpful.

Thanks

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The diesel one would be pretty good?

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Gotta be helix, took a mega amount of punishment for me in a light mk1
    smoking 8.2" slicks prior to a race start.
    every start..............
    Jon

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

They can't cope with rallycross, hence going helix. This wasn't a one off either..
    Jon

6. NickMcCartney New Member

7. NickMcCartney New Member

Jon lovely advise thanks. Don’t suppose you know of a link to a website for the Helix options?

8. NickMcCartney New Member

To tell you the truth I’m not building a rally car. I don’t launch it and smash through the gears like a 17yr old. Just like to have a little play every now and then .
    Just want a gearbox which is small and simple, that will see me through.
    I know there are better box options but I already have a low mileage 020 ready for rebuild/cryo/ARP’s/LSD.

cheers guys

9. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As above, Helix is the best (its actually a Sachs competition unit), looks much like a std unit with subtle differences, but can take huge abuse.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Mardi Gras Motorsport, main dealer

KeithMac likes this.
  11. NickMcCartney New Member

Thanks Tony and Jon. Just priced up an organic Helix. I think I’ll go down that route

12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

No Worries. They are not cheap and be prepared to be un underwhelmed when you get it, as apart from six center springs it all looks pretty std, but don't be fooled.........they are good The organic has a really nice feel, you can slip it of the line or to get the motor on cam out of a corner and they don't complain and the feed in is very linear, plus the wear rates are quite good..

13. NickMcCartney New Member

Yes Tony I almost swallowed me teeth when I saw the price lol. Anything that can hold a bit of turbo boost is all I want. Cheers mate

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Gearboxes could not give two shits what power you generate through them.
    Engine torque and the resistance to vehicle weight/momentum yes.
    The 020 is a gearbox rated 200Nm for factory warranty. Probably less now as the gearbox is 30+ years old at least.
    A later stock AUM or AUQ can generate up to 300 Nm from 3500 rpm with a re map. No racing 16v or 8v can generate that amount of torque, so can get away with an 020 for a short while before a rebuild.
    Best bet to stop frequent clutch replacement and inevitable gearbox breakage, is to replace with a MQ250 aka 02J gearbox.

15. Adamss24 Forum Member

I would stress you get yourself a 6 speed ERF gearbox off the mk4 1.9 pd tdi AJM engine, it’s nicely spaced and will take 600 nm all day long ! With a Sachs/luk stock clutch that can take 450nm you should have no problem putting the power on the road. Add a Sachs SRE if you think stock it’s not enough…

16. Toyotec

I would never recommend fitting a diesel ratio gearbox to a low torque engine as an AUQ. I would not even fit similar rations to a R32 T!
    Only if you are drag racing and want to reduce shifting with over 1000 Nm. Not what this little AUQ engine is about.

ERF is a MQ350 02M gearbox, so subject to breakage as the gearbox in my 1J 4 Motion V6 and my 8L S3 3.2T.
    For a light car with only an AUQ, just a MQ250, aka 02A, 02J or 02S with petrol gear spacing and FDR, is required for durability.

boroko likes this.
  17. Adamss24 Forum Member

It’s been done before mate, the ratios are really, really close and you have the benefit of higher final drive. I have friends that fitted these pd115 Bhp gearboxes to 500+ Bhp golfs 1.8t…it’s common swap here in Europe ! Each to their own…

18. Adamss24 Forum Member

I have fitted drw gearbox to 1.8t before, the ERF seems longer due to extra Bhp from the pd150 lump which can spin it further before getting to the speed limiter !

Attached Files:

19. Toyotec

I have mapped cars with them, so I do not need convincing they are shite. I am not novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

500 bhp 1.8T golf says sweat nothing, in terms of how wide its torque range in rpm, how strong the torque is, and what sort of use a car like that is put to.

That is what determines gear spacing, desired acceleration in gear and FDR.

Not the type of system required by the OP with a little AUQ engine.

20. Adamss24 Forum Member

I wasn’t trying to get this post into a pissing contest, I was saying that it’s better to future proof it by swapping to a diesel gearbox. So far the strongest manual gearboxes fitted by Vag group are the diesel boxes, the 6 speed box takes easily 600nm of torque in vr6 turbo applications. I have 6 speed box into a mk2 running over 360bhp with a built up pd engine…now I am chassing 400+ Bhp with an s300 VGT turbo off a John Deere combine harvester…most I break are inner cv joints on my driveshafts ! I really think that box will take everything his 1.8t can take for a long, long time !!