Struggling to fire up engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by tsutton, Jun 29, 2016.

1. tsutton Forum Member

W reg VW Golf 1.4 "E" (MK4 - 2000)

Right, I am running out of ideas and thought I'd turn to you lot for some advices. :)

For a while, I have noticed that on a COLD start, it would struggle to fire up (had to push down the pedal a few times to rev up) before actually firing up. Then when leaving it to idle, the rev would keep going down & up until warmed up, it would stay around the 1k rev mark and runs smoothly.

Driving is fine however I've noticed it may miss a 'beat' now and then - not very often, maybe once or twice every 2 weeks or so.

When I turned off the engine to go to a shop and returning 10-15 minutes later, I also find it hard to fire up the engine, had to keep revving a bit until fired up. But this doesn't happen all the time. At other days, it would fire up fine.

Checked/Replaced so far:

* Spark Plugs (3 days ago)
    * Oil level is fine
    * Air filter is fine
    * Oil breather pipe is fine & clean
    * Spark Plug leads are fine
    * Transformer is fine
    * Battery is fine.

So, what does it mean? What else have I missed out to troubleshoot this?

Thanks all.

2. tsutton Forum Member

Bump for the afternoon crew.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st step now is diagnostics! if you want something free to try I would clean the throttle body

4. tsutton Forum Member

Last time I did that, it came back with no error found. I'll try again, see if anything has come up since then.

I looked at it when I was cleaning the airbox last week, looks clean to me. Is it worth doing so?

Thanks for the reply.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

did you check with it wide open as well? might be crud inside you cant easily see.

with vagcom you dont just check for codes you also want to read thru the ecu measuring blocks to see all the sensor inputs in real time. things like throttle position, inlet and coolant temps etc good for starters. its possible for say the temp sensor to read way out but not enough for the ecu to realise its a fault for example