Stubborn Airlock advice

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Deadchemist, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Deadchemist Forum Member

Here's the side flange, absolutely nothing. The two wires pictured were the broken ones. Reattached now as I presumed they were before. If I take off the oil sensor I lose the oil light on first click before ignition. If I take off the other one I lose battery/coolant temp flashing light. So presumably they're back in the right places.

As for the coolant temp sensor, it's a mystery! In the Haynes they have 4 illustrations of where the sensor should be, but it's not in any of the places illustrated.There is only the thermo switch loom/sensor on the front flange. Perhaps it's gathering information from there?

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

whats the front flange sensor look like? audi can have different sensors than what you would expect coming from VW engines

3. Deadchemist Forum Member

There is only this. That's the top cap (thermostatic cap) which has the 4 wires which control all the pierburg 2e2 automatic functions. Those are bypassed now (big thanks for your help there)

If you unplug the cap and plug the switch underneath has 3 prongs so is perhaps also the thermo coolant switch. Would make sense how this send data to the cap. Just strange that it's kind of working, just running too hot.

[​IMG]

This picture is the bottom of the switch, or where the plug at the top clips Into

[​IMG]

4. Deadchemist Forum Member

5. Deadchemist Forum Member

Scratch that, just popped the cap off and it's 4 prongs. Also switched ignition on and took the cap off and it's still reading engine temp. There's no more wires coming from that switch so god knows

6. rubjonny

If anything I would assume it's the single spade sensor at the front there, but if it's still reading high with it off then god knows...

7. Deadchemist Forum Member

Ok found it! Was hiding in plain sight under the flange. Will switch that out tomorrow and see if we have any luck

8. rubjonny