Stuck spark plug 1.8tsi Mk3 EA888 gen3

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mykro, Oct 1, 2023.

1. mykro New Member

Hi,

I was trying to remove spark plug which was able to lose on engine at temperature cca. 70C/160F, and I was able to made 5turns approx, and now it is stuck.

I put some penetrating spray, start engine, it was able to move 1/4 of turn, now it cant do back and forth movement.

So I heard that acethylene and Automatic Transmission fluid mix 50/50 is best for seized bolts but dont have it.

So what to do if i assume that aluminium matter or carbon at the beginning of spark plug forbids to remove it?

Does repair shop do this with thread insert without removing cylinder head? thanks

2. Adder Forum Member

I think the only option you have is to soak the plug with penetrating oil and leave it for several hours, then try a little more leverage trying to work it back and forth however. It dose sound like you say that there may have been a build up of carbon on the end off the plug or the threads may have just gawled up seeing as you did get 5 turns out of it . All I can say is just try and be patient with . Fingers crossed

Adder

daNpy and mykro like this.
  3. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes i think inserts can be put on without removing head but, i think it may not be necessary as it unscrewed quite a bit, there are some threads left on the bottom.
    More of a problem could be it it breaks, then it is 50-50 chances that it needs removing the head.
    I was watching this the other day!

mykro likes this.
  4. mykro New Member

thanks all, I saw that if porcelan breaks, you still are able to drill on it a pull it out with some extractor but I assume that it will torn the threads and you needs thread chaser in order to use thread insert (helicoil etc),,,,I need to keep it on repair store and hope that patience and alternating warm and cold motor, penetrating oil , back and forth movements will be able to pull out spark plug ..

5. daNpy Forum Member

Let the penetrating oil soak in, like Adder said. One night at least. Then try to move up and down carefully, that's your best hope.