Stupid Question: 8v Mk2 GTi On Carbs?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mookie, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mookie Forum Member

I've been having a look on t'internet and through my old Golf+ and PVW's, and I can't find much about this setup. So far the only example with any sort of decent info is the matt green MK 2 ratty track car a couple of months back in Golf+.

Am I right in thinking it would require some custom fabricating to get this setup working due to the required placement of the carbs being all wrong on the 8v? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Forgive the sheer noobness of this thread [xx(]

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The biggest issue will be clearance around the back.

You'll need carbs, manifold, throttle linkage, carb mounting gaskets, fuel pump, regulator.

A heat shield would be good between the two manifolds, plus either some alloy plugs or I think pennys will fit in the injector holes with the inserts screwed back in the secure them.

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

[​IMG]

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

See... told ya.. :lol: :lol:

Mind you, that IS tight, I've got much more room on my MK1 with similar length ram pipes.

You can use ram pipes around half the length of those but I wouldnt use much shorter on yr MK2 mookie.

5. hardcore dub Forum Member

Hi mookie,
    I have just finished this project and it was a bit of a pain but well worth it!!
    Basically the main problem is the clearance with the servo and bulkhead, I moved the servo over to the other side next to the expansion tank and used a customised linkage off a mk3 fiesta (haha) and put some 16v brakes on the front and they are awesome. As i had 40mm ram pipes i also cut a piece ot of the bulkhead and recessed it about 1 inch, it also stops the carbs hiting the bulkhead when you floor as will stiffer engine mounts. As for the injector holes i used 1p coins.
    I also heat wraped the exhaust and fed a cold air feed from under the front bumper and also proped the bonet up at the back to get a draft running through.
    Hope this helps, i could probably get you some pictures if you need some reference!

6. mookie Forum Member

Pictures would be awesome! I've seen so little of this sort of project I'd love to have a look at how someone else has coped.

7. hardcore dub Forum Member

Cool well I'll try and sort some out in the next few days. If you send me your e-mail adress I should be able to send them.

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Mr brown, that is ridiculous!

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I think it actually sucks air from the inside of the car :)

10. misteralz Forum Member

That's illegal. :clap:

:lol: :lol: :lol: