Sunroof removal

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by superhands, Jan 16, 2007.

1. superhands New Member

Just wondering how you've gotten on with the OMP cage, my previous experience is that they are a pretty shocking fit, especially the weld in mounts they supply!! In the past ended up fabbing my own mounts and chucking theirs in the bin, I'm considering ordering the Sparco cage this time, does anybody have any experience of them ?

2. ted192s Banned

both the omp and sparco will need some mods to the 4 front legs to get them to fit but that is why they are cheap the safety devices cages fit fine with very little work but cost alot.

3. Trackgti New Member

Andrew F, i had to chop the sunroof to get the cage in which meant it would only open 3 inches!

I kind of thought i'd race mine in road saloons to find i'd over stripped the car i.e carpets and roof lining, made a good track car mind.

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

How much might I be expected to pay for someone to remove the sunroof (not including a complete roof swap, just a plate over the apeture) and the fitment of a 6-point bolt-in cage... roughly? If anyone knows.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On the sunroof, X per hour - garage rate, whatever that is.

Cage - easily 200+. Could take a day to put one in.

6. IanCarvell Forum Member

I would tackle the rollcage yourself, its not too difficult, the worst bit is welding to footplates in.

I would also check weather it is allowed to remove the rollcage first, the way I read it, it isn't allowed.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sunroof cage I presume? There's been some discussion of that along the lines of "what if an ex-Slick 50 car with plated sunroof wants to enter?"

Clarification obviosuly needed on that point - I'm sure the committee are discussing.

8. IanCarvell Forum Member

I did mean sunroof not rollcage....I feel like crap today, not thinking straight.

I think it is good that all of these things are being raised because the regulations are key to making this series work as it is inteded i.e. budget series with close entertaining racing.

9. GtiRacingTech New Member

Hi Folks
    Because of issues with fitting OMP cages into GTi's (which all have sunroofs) there will be a change to the regs to allow the removal of the sunroof mechanism and cassette. It was felt that the amount of weight removed was fairly insignificant, and that this was the best way to allow the OMP cages to be fitted. Please remember you will need to have a way of securely covering the sunroof aperture.
    Cheers
    Andy

10. H5LRW Forum Member

I've had a scan through the blue book and can't find ant minimum requirement (thickness) for a plate used to blank off the sunroof. Is there one?

11. IanCarvell Forum Member

I think it was in the bulletin sent out earlier in the year 16 or 18 swg, from memory.

12. H5LRW Forum Member

Thanks Ian I'll dig that one out [:D]

13. asedwell Forum Member

Hi,

Can I just clarify, are we allowed to remove the entire sunroof and mounting cassette ? It looks like to do this you need to grind off a couple of spot welds at each corner from a bracket on the shell, but before I do this I thought Id better check. The copy of the regs I have says: The inner sunroof steel sleeve and mechanism may be removed to facilitate the fitment of the roll cage. but I wasnt sure if this meant the complete sunroof assembly.

Many thanks
    Alistair

Edited to say apologies if this should be in the regulations thread...

14. H5LRW Forum Member

Yes you can remove it.

15. asedwell Forum Member

Great, thanks :thumbup::thumbup:

Alistair

16. IanCarvell Forum Member

When are you doing it, I have a load of photos on my phone that I was going to post on here to show how its done.

17. vwd40 Forum Member

Could you post the photo's up? How much weight does it save? How do you then plug the sunroof panel in place?

18. olly20vt Forum Member

Havent done mine yet but will use a sheet of steel (sizes in the regs) and rivit it on with some sealer.
    Some pics would be good.

19. asedwell Forum Member

These would be really useful :thumbup:

Cheers
    Alistair

20. IanCarvell Forum Member

I will post them shortly...I cant do it from work.