Swapping metal coolant flanges for plastic ones - possible?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by rich81, Jul 1, 2011.

1. rich81 Forum Member

I'm in the middle of a 2E conversion on my 1988 mk2 and I'm wondering if it is possible to bin the old metal water flanges and fit a pair of plastic ones from a later spec mk2 that I have handy...

The old ones are heavily corroded and I don't have the gasket for the metal one on the side of the head. I know two of the sensors are the old type which are earthed through housing themselves, but I'm wondering if it is possible to get the connecters from a later spec car and wire them up, or if the readings would be totally different...

I will be consulting the elctrical drawings to see but has anyone ever done this?

[​IMG]

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think the metal flanges on the front are more reliable - the plastic ones are more likely to warp. Personally I'd try to find a decent front metal one and clean it up.

3. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

i agree with mike. those metals don't look too bad tbh

4. rich81 Forum Member

That's true they do warp I've had to get a new thermostat housing for that reason. I'll give the metals a good clean up and see if I get any leaks

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

The readings on the gauges was different when I tried this, does you car have the motometer guages?

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

If you find the metal flange is pitted where the hose sits over it, or even on the mating surfaces, a little chemical metal/jb weld sanded smooth works just fine.

ps: if you do end up binning the smaller one from the end of the head, can I have it? [:$][:D]

7. rich81 Forum Member

Well I made a gasket for the one on the side of the head as it was a type with no oring recess, perhaps from an audi or something as i havent seen that type before. Thankfully its actually sealed well. The one on the front of the head was badly pitted on one of the hose connections and now has a leak. Knew i shouldnt have cleaned it up the crap on there was keeping it sealed! Ill give the chemical metal a try.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its k-jet then no you cant do it :(

if its a digifant then yes, you need to fit a blue temp sensor and splice a 2 pin plug for the gauge onto the old temp wire. 2nd wire just run to earth.

side flange is wrong for your car, it shouldn't have the sensor threading in it and instead be a bare casting, the later ones have a proper seal lip in them so you can use the late type oring seal which is the same as fitted to the plastic flanges

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

he could use the plastic one one the side of the head EV engines use both types
    in fact by 88 it could of had a plastic one on the head mine did
    i have a spare cast one with the oring grove if any one need

10. rubjonny

well yeah side one is swappable as theres no sensors in it, its the front one which is the problem

edit: oh and its worth noting you cant use the plastic one pictured either way as its a carby one and is missing one of the coolant connections you need ;)

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i did spy that as well
    i dont think the front plastic one was ever fitted to the EV engines
    i could be wrong mind

12. rubjonny

they never were, the problem is you need a threaded fitting for the 5th injector thermoswitch, and since they got rid of k-jet by the time the plastic flanges came in there are no plastic flanges with the required fitting for the thermoswitch

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Later Mk2 Kjet Roccos don't have the metal gearbox end flange, or the temp sensor in it - it's all run off the thermotime switch in the main flange on the front. The upside of this is that there are 10 year newer flanges available with the right fittings, in aluminium.

Mk1 Rocco 1600 and golf end flanges seem to have an extra sensor in them...

14. rubjonny

ya its early mk1/rocco/cab which have the sensor in the side flange. there is also another version of the side flange with an extra coolant pipe fitting on it.

good point about the rocco/cab k-jet, they were still around in the early 90s and still metal front flange, so vw just didnt bother to make a front plastic flange for them :)

15. rich81 Forum Member

Well after removing the front metal flange which had been leaking and repairing all the pitting with chemical metal, it promptly snapped in two when being refitted to the head [8(].

So am I right in thinking the single wire from the old gauge temp sender goes to the blue 2 pin, and the white 2 pin plug from my old ECU temp sender can go straight onto whatever colour the ECU temp sender is in the new plastic flange (which hopefully will be taken from a scrapyard tomorrow afternoon!)...?

A bit annoying as I'd just bought a new white temp sender for the metal one. Little chance of finding one down the scrappy but if there's a metal one I'll give it another shot.

16. rubjonny

VW have dropped the metal and plastic flanges :(
    I would buy a new plastic flange from gsf/avs rather than risk 2nd hand as they warp with age. you'll need a black 2 pin dash temp sensor, either from vw, gsf or the scrappy and i would only get the blue ecu sender direct from vw, luckily that one isnt too expensive. oh and the seals and clips as well!

the white 2 pin plug goes to the blue sender, and you have to chop a 2 pin plug off from a scrappy car for the dash temp sensor. you need to splice the red/yel wire to one of the pins and run the other wire to ground, the side of the head is fine.

025 906 041 A - ecu temp sensor, blue - 15.49+VAT
    251 919 501 D - dash temp gauge, black - 22.28+VAT

N 903 168 02 - seal for sensors - 1.03+VAT x2
    032 121 142 - clip for sensors - 0.46+VAT x2

AVS:
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1494
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=970
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=969

give em a bell about the front flange, its not in the mk2 section but they do loads for the corrado so they might have the mk2 one as well

From VWS Bristol:
    http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/251-919-501d-alt.html
    http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/025-121-142.html
    http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/037-121-133c-bq.html

17. rich81 Forum Member

[:D] Thanks for the comprehensive info :thumbup:

Since I need the car for work I had to get a plastic one from the scrapyard today but it's now fixed and all seems well. I've re-used the second hand blue sender for now but it seems ok. The flange was warped as they all are but I put plenty of sealant on and it seems to have held up ok.

I don't think I would mess around with the metal ones again, even the metal one I broke had warped on the mounting face.

18. rubjonny